1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Possible Fish To Put In My 10 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 20, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

wish that was an option for me, i would love to have like a 50+ gallon tank, or i would be even satisfied with a 20 gallon long, but then i would still want to upgrade like i am wanting to now, so one day when i make a permanent move, i will have a 100+ gallon fish tank, good thing i'm still young and have plenty of time to have my dream fish tank

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yes, but some only have room for a 10g to enjoy and while they pose excellent for fry raising they can also be an enjoyment for those who don't have space for anything larger.
    Fast growing plants are the ones you want...they will suck up the nutrients...You don't have to break the bank in doing so with the fast growers..get one potted version and see how it does...It really bites to buy alot of plants that someone recommends should do well in your current setup, only to find out that they didn't do as expected!
    I like that you ask BEFORE you take the jump. Shows that you want to do whats right despite the overtemptation to toss a ton of stuff in that 10g (Yep, I've been there before too..shh!)

3. California Cowgirl

very true, and i did get 2 medium sized tiger barbs a few days ago for my tank, when i got my second marigold all on impulse buying (bad habit of mine) and then once i put the barbs in the tank i immediatley realized that they were to big for my 10 gal, so thankfully i have a coworker who had a 30 gallon tank with already 4 tigers and my 2 were a perfect match for his tank. So i think i learned my lesson on those two fish to ask/research before buying :D

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I was ever there with a 10 gallon, Ever will If I can keep a 20+ gallon set up, however when I was younger I overloaded my 1 gallon like mad. I have a glow light tetra, the one mean as hell tetra that I don't know what it is called, and a ADF in that little one gallon. I lost the frog after going to the 20 gallon, and i'm not sure if I have the same glowlight or not, But I know i still have my mean as hell tetra around.

I feel horrible, I kind wish he would die, he that mean to my other fish.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Haha! that sounds like me and my first 10 gallon! I came home on an impulse buying spree with a ton of fish...and believe you me when I say a ton!
    I think I had over 20 fish and I believed the guy when he showed me the photo on a 10g box showing all these fish in there...telling me they would do perfect (enabling my spree to continue).

Oh, and you know theres plenty more like us out there Cowgirl! Their just cowering in hiding! Come out come out where ever you other overstockers are!!
    ROFL!

6. California Cowgirl

haha nice, lol i had a little guppy in my 10 gall that i now say was a little overstocked as well, and he would cause terror in that tank when everyone else was very docile, so i moved him in my 5 gall with my betta and the were the perfect match, until they both jumped out of my net and behind my tall heavy dresser it was on and died

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I remember you posting about that! Poor fishies...luckily they'll basically disintegrate over time...and aren't large enough to give off that dead fishy smell. Are you having nightmares that their haunting you from back there yet? Just kidden!

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I think I may have overstocked my one gallon with SNAIL!!!!!!!!! there like 60+ trumpet snails in there.

9. California Cowgirl

haha lol i was just looking at craiglist, someone was selling a 30 gallon tank and they stated that they had 20+ fish in there

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have them in my 90g...they started out as tiny specs the size of a grain of rice...literally...now they are like 1+" and in numbers soo large that they could fight terrorism on their own should they choose to do battle.Lol!

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

:cool: Let's think positive and think it was 20 baby neon tetras, and not say 20+adult mollies.

12. California Cowgirl

haha nah :D lol but i do know a real place that's haunted :D it's my grandma's house, which she died in, the day after her death (her funeral and her birthday) a picture fell down of her and my grandpa, and the renters say there is a nice ghost in the house, so it's her still there :D (off topic hehe)

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

yea if Snails could fight the terrorist would be shaking in their boots right now. there are to many people in a American with snail over killed tanks.

14. California Cowgirl

dang 60+ trumpet snails, they had to be covering like every inch of that little tank

15. California Cowgirl

haha maybe they should go to the middle east then :p

16. California Cowgirl

haha i'll try to find the posting and see if you spot anything in the picture they have <a class="postlink" href="http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pet/1043908423.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://orangecounty.craigslist.org/pet/1043908423.html</a>

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

not really, but my water line where my tank meets is almost nothing but snails.

18. California Cowgirl

haha nice :D

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

yea how much could I sell my trumpet sell for?? 10 cents each with free shipping or some thing??

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I just checked that listing and from what I could make out..it looked like livebearers (variatus)...But reading the totally incompatible tankmates is even better.
    colorfull guppies, large goldfish, two sucker fish, three betas, zebras
    TWO suckerfish is TWO too many (unless it's something like a bristelnose or clown that get to about 4"...and even then I would say 1)....Goldfish DO NOT go with guppies as they prefer cold water and guppies being tropical prefer warm....the three bettas are more than likely females.....the zebra danio don't harm much of anything and are common dither fish. Totally Unreal, and to proudly be advertising that combination! The seller must work at petsmart or petco...J/k!