1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Possible Fish To Put In My 10 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 20, 2009.

1. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

Sorry to bring it back a few posts but, I've never seen a big box store like petsmart or petco selling true endlers. Most likely they were what are known as feeder guppies. They are usually very inexpensive and used for feeding larger fish. They are closer to being wild and have more of their wild coloration (which you can kind of tell Endlers are closely related to guppies being that feeder guppies look quite a bit like a less colorful endler). If you go with endlers (or any live bearers for that matter) and you have a male and a female, you'll have to figure out what to do eventually with the fry or you'll end up with an over stocked tank.

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

actually by the sounds of it, it does sound like Petsmart. They stopped carrying dwarf puffer fish because they couldn't keep them alive in their tanks because they were brackish fish. Then, get this, the dwarf puffer fish is the only freshwater puffer in the hobby-talk about being stupid! The reason they most likely can't keep the little things alive is due to them feeding flake food which is not healthy for dwarf puffers.

3. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

hahahaha probably :p

4. California Cowgirl

ohhhhh good to know, maybe i'll just stick with guppies, neons, and my cory's, because i'm not sure about buying a live animal especially a fish online, and if the fish that i saw with the guppies were feeders and not endlers they were really pretty, i was tempted to by them but didn't.
    Oh and if the two did happen to breed, i could give some of my fry to my toads as a snack and possibly my puffer also.

5. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

If you wanted you could go with some feeder guppies. There's quite a few people out that that breed and keep them. You just need to be careful because they are pretty much an inbred mutt fish and you'll see a lot of them with deformities. It's all in what you want to do. It's your tank and you're the one enjoying it. You just have to be careful with over stocking because then you could end up with more dead fish...which can be quite sad, especially if you really like the fish, or if you are flushing a lot of money down the toilet.

6. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

hehe I just read that again as well dawn and realized she added more to the bottom

7. California Cowgirl

oh lol, i guess i accidently put what i was typing up in the quote section, must not have been paying attentin :p

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

It's okay, I fixed it. :)

9. California Cowgirl

*sigh* if only i had a bigger tank, all my problems would be solved

10. California Cowgirl

11. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

hehe talk your parents into letting you get a larger tank, and then another, and then another so that eventually you realize that you don't need wall paper, you have living wall paper because once you realize you have one tank pretty well stocked, and you see some new fish you want...you're going to want another tank (yes...this has happened and continues to happen to me...lol)

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Nah, they would just be starting..I got the 90 thinking that...and I'm constantly rearranging this and that and thinking what should I really stock in here...and should I add more of this one or that one.
    In a way, I wish I stayed with a 55g (much easier to reach into for maint.---I need a step ladder with the 90g).

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I would just put a 90 gallon or more in the floor and not on a stand,.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Yea, but I'm sure you don't have english bulldogs that are fascinated with the fish and thinking they can eat the snails through the glass!
    I have scratches on the bit of the corner that they can reach to prove it! Lol!

15. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

I hear ya with animals being fascinated with the fish...I would love to run the new saltwater tank I'm doing open top, but due to 3 little creatures (our 3 cats), I'm going to have to make due with a glass top.

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

O, no that true, however my normal pitbull might, in fact that one of the problems I'm trying to fix right now. keep my pitbull form drinking my fry water.

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol! Stick lighting diffuser over the tank (problem eliminated), that or you can do plexiglass, or even a glass canopy (I've always done the glass canopies).

18. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I was thinking the plexiglass canopy to, but knowing her, I might come home to a soggy floor and broken 5 dollar 10 gallon tank.

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Oh, you still would keep it on the floor...the only way I can see that happening knowing the dog situation would be to put it in the BOTTOM of an aquarium stand...then you can use the top of the aquarium stand as a tabletop for decor/lamp/books/etc.

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I don't have a stand, if I did she won't have been able to eat close to 20 dollars worth of fish food.