1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Possible Fish To Put In My 10 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 20, 2009.

1. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Yah I miss him and the horses, But everyone has to go sometime.. Exept horses he kept alot of other animals (he had some sort of farm) He had alot of cats to :) They gave birth way to many times

2. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

aww im sorry about your grandpa, i've lost all of mine too, funny about the cats oh and i just told my mom about me wanting to turn my tanks into planted and she was like whatever, you do listen to us so why even bother telling us, so once i pay off some of my bills i get to go planted :D

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Haha! Your mother sounds like mine when I was a teenager..."You never listen to us anyways, so why bother even telling us what your new plan of the week is" LOL!

4. California Cowgirl

hahah so true, so i'm cleaning my tanks today, i cleaned my 5 gallon, and realized the filter isint working, when i get it turned to planted, how do i do it without the filter like some people do

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

From what I've read it appears you do 75% or so plants and MINIMAL if any fish.
    Stellaluna (sp) has a thread related to this. You may want to pm or ask her?

6. California Cowgirl

ok, i'll either do that or just do a lot of water changes, i've got all my fish and frogs in my 5 gallon right now for now while i clean my 10 gallon, the frogs fit perfectly in there, i can't wait until i get it planted

7. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

my 30 gal is planted. (i use a filter) but the plants do some sort of filtering to. As for the parents I ussually use the "Whine till they give in technique" :)

8. California Cowgirl

haha lol i had put my frogs/fish in my 5 gall for cleaning the normal tank, and my mom was like the frogs are better in the smaller tank which was amazing for her not to be mad about the frogs/fish and she also found out that i had 5 toads instead of 3. So right now i've got my frogs in the 5 gallon, and my 2 fish in my 10 gallon. And i don't want to do anything more with either tanks until i can start working on them to become planted tanks

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sounds like a good idea! If your looking for plants that affordable why not posting an ad on here asking for clippings at a reasonable cost?
    You can post it here on the site if you like in our aquarium ads section.

10. California Cowgirl

ohhh awesome, oh and as far as fish for my 10 gallon goes i was thinking of the silver tip tetra, the yellow ones, and get 6 of thes and 2 more cory's, and move my marigold to my 5 gallon with my frogs

11. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

You should get the same type of corys at least they ususally live in schools ;),, And the tank is empety right now huh? I think a small school like 6 yeah would be fine (tetras)

12. California Cowgirl

all i've got in the tank is my marigold and 1 cory, which i don't want to get anything at the moment because when i do start my planting on my 10 gallon i don't think my 5 would be way to crowded, so for now, my tank is pretty much empty

13. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Yeah true you cant do much with 5 gallons. When will you start planting I'd love to see it :)

14. California Cowgirl

most deffinentley, i think i'll have to wait a month or so, so i can pay of the majority of my credit card, but once that's done i'm good to go and searching for plants, any idea, if when i do start, that everything could be planted all at once, if i find the stuff on the same day, though i have a feeling i may have to order some plants online

15. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Well I'd check your local pet/fish store first they might have some nice plants you'd like just look up their names on google or ask here (or your pet store :)) how big they get ect ect. After that I'd definatly take a look online maybe here <a class="postlink" href="http://www.aquariumplants.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">www.aquariumplants.com</a> (wich i found because of dawn, Thanks dawn ;) ) It has some really great stuff :D

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

frist off what kind of light do you have, second what is the watts on that thing???

17. California Cowgirl

awesome, i really hate ordering online because of expensive shipping, but i'm set on doing planted tanks so, so long i have the money i'm willing to pay for it, but on the other hand i've never looked at the plants and petco or petsmart, so they may have what i want

18. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Petco and Petsmart have a VERY limited supply and many of their plants they sell are not even submersible plants, but they sell them as that. BE CAUTIOUS there!

19. California Cowgirl

my 5 gallon is a 15 watt, i haven't looked at my 10 gallon, but i think it's a flouresent light bulb

20. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Incandescent light bulbs are WORTHLESS if that is what is on your 5. Switch it out to a compact fluorescent!