1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Possibly mating?

Discussion in 'Goldfish, Koi, Pond Fish' started by san_sam, Jul 26, 2010.

1. san_sam

san_sam Thread Starter New Member

Hey guys my big comet and other two fantails are chasing after my two Ryukins.. I have not learned yet how to sex my goldfishes. They are not nipping or anything but seem to keep rubbing to the Ryukins butt.. Are they trying to spawn or anything? But they are two different breeds right.. Pls help guys.. My water temperature is around 24 Celsius.. It is winter here..

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

don't know much about goldfish, but that sounds like mating behavior...now if they were rubbing off things in the tank and you were seeing salty looking grains I'd say ich.

Good luck with them!

3. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

Could it possibly be over crowded? Comets grow quick and huge.

4. nossie

nossie Member

How big's your tank?

Either way, if these fish would be spawning, look for small white pimples on the gill covers and pectoral fins of the fish that's chasing. So don't mix this up with ich! Which is a very common beginner mistake.
    If you can't see any breeding tubercles on your fish, it's probably a crowded tank, or the two ryukins are being bullied because of their body shape. It's usually like that that faster and more boisterous fish will chase after the rounder ones as they are slower. As a nice rule, don't keep common fish like comets or shubunkins along with fancier varieties like fantails, ryukins, orandas etc. (Fantails ARE less round than ryukins, and they're faster too, so if your ryukins are being bullied, it could be because they have recently been introduced and the rest of your fish won't accept them due to an already crowded tank.)