1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

power outtages- preparation advice needed

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hurricane and power outtages

As hurricane hannah approaches I am wondering what I should do to ensure not losing my fish, what do I need to buy incase the power goes out?

2. eeyipes

eeyipes New Member

A generator :( , no doubt there's a run on them already.

Although I would think simply doing a daily water change would get your average freshwater tank by for a few days, also making sure your filter media does not dry out during the outage. Perhaps one of those little battery operated clip on fans blowing at the surface of the water could help provide some water movement for O2 / CO2 exchange.

Hope it doesn't get that bad for you.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

They sell battery powered bubblers. Like I've said before, I use UPS units on my tanks. A generator would be best but not always necessary and probably hard to come by now.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Im getting a power inverter for my car its 750w and the guys selling it for 30 bucks! Also, whats a ups and I am going to get a couple of those battery powered bubblers.

If it all plays out like they are suspecting we will be hit by the upper right side of the hurricane, the strongest side by nature. On an island, with one bridge and no hospital so Im guessing its not going to be pretty if the power goes out I dont think we will be high priority.

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

It says the battery only last like 2 hours?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It depends on what size/type you get. Plus that's based on a 400 watt power supply normally.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

o ok, I got cha now.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I use those things to power my router and modem so even when power goes out I can still get online. LoL

Back in NC, I used one on my satellite box, TV, and computer. Everyone would laugh at me but hey, I never knew when the power went out while I was in my room. :)

10. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

go to you local tackle /fish shop and buy the airators for live wells that run off like D cell batteries.
    I once lasted 13 days without power and that is all i had for the tanks guess its a good thing it was in the summer

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

if your down south its hot so dnt need a heater.if you have big tanks it takes a long time for the tanks to get hight ammonia levels.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

About how much do these cost?

13. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

10 bucks on Big Al's. Not sure what they would be at a store.

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I thought I'd bring this thread back up since winter weather is just around the corner for most of us.

I've never spent the winter in VA so how the weather here is new to me, as well as how the power company reacts to winter related outtages. I have already put a 1500VA UPS unit in place for my tank. I have 3 filters, a 150 watt heater, 2 powerheads and a led moonlight hooked up to it now. With the heater on the unit allows everything to run for 40 minutes. In the event of a prolonged power outtage I could just use the heater and one filter and it would last me quite a bit longer.

I'm running my tank open top so I lose a lot of heat during the night which is when my heater comes on. During the day my lights keep my tank heated. I have a versa-top that I would put into place while the power was out to help keep heat in.

Another tip for keeping a tank warm would be to tape Styrofoam sheets all around the tank. It will keep the heat in and the tank dark which will keep the fish calm. You can usually purchase the Styrofoam from Lowes or a
    similar hardware store.

I'll post a picture of my little backup unit tomorrow when the lights are back on.

15. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

anthony random question doesnt really metter but i just wanted to ask how old are you? =]

16. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

17. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol i was like if you were like 15 or something i wouldn't feel alone. but after seeing that link i feel so much better XD hehe but i probably got the most tanks gonna get a 110 gallon then ill have 9 tanks :eek: :eek: :eek:

18. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

LoL okay. :D

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

what is in your nine tanks

20. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

tons of things from snails to guppies to platys to angels to convitcs to flowerhorns to bichirs to kois to ryukins etc.