1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

power outtages- preparation advice needed

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Had these on my camera card and forgot to post them. They were just two quick shots of my backup, surge protector and timer.
    IMG_9092.jpg IMG_9096.jpg

2. Ms. Wright

Ms. Wright Member

We have two big gas-powered generators out back, purchased after the flood in 1996. When the power goes out, which it does kind of frequently here in the country when there's ice, we rotate the gennie power between the freezer, the fridge, and the aquaria.
    If I'm expecting bad weather, I do a 40% water change, feed lightly, if at all, and keep the lights out. Dark keeps the fishes less active. The 55 and the 150 will hold heat for a long time, and I put blankets over the 10g and the 5g killie tank. I've got to hand it to the killies; those are the most rugged little fishes I've ever dealt with. :)
    We also have wood heat for backup, so it never gets to terribly cold in here as long as we're home to feed the stove.