1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

primes effectiveness at removing chlorine from purigen soak?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anthony, Jan 29, 2009.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

Purigen & Prime Use

With my Purigen what I normally do is soak the Purigen in 50% bleach 50% water for several hours then rinse it off as well as I can in hot water. I have a small ziplock container that I keep some Prime in for removing the chlorine from the Purigen. I pop it in the container and leave it in there for several hours, rinse and sometimes soak it in the Prime again just to be safe. Sometimes I'll even store it in the Prime container when I don't need it. Okay on to the question.

I wanted to hear opinions on how long Prime is effective at removing chlorine, specifically from Purigen after being soaked in bleach. Do you think the Prime is still effective if it has it's typical Prime smell ? I know to be on the safe side it should be changed after soaking the Purigen but I haven't done that for the past 2-3 times. I have added a bit more Prime to the container to compensate for the amount the Purigen holds as I remove it to rinse it off.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I normally soak it a few hours in a diluted bleach mix for a few hours, then I rinse with regular tap water very well, and afterwards toss it in a container with a good bit of prime and allow it soak typically overnight (or a few days depending on what I feel like). Honestly, once it's done in that soak I normally re-rinse it once more to be on the safe side and give it a quick dash of prime to be extra safe. I've never honestly had any issues with any remaining bleachy smell. I'd like to think Prime is still effective if it still has that prime sulfur like smell.

3. Anthony

Yeah, I'm not questioning the process of regenerating Purigen. What you do is basically what I do. I've had no issues with that. My main concern is basically how long say 250ml of Prime is effective at removing chlorine.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Honestly, I've checked my bottles and don't see any expiration date or suggested toss date so to speak. I'm sure it remains stable since undoubtly it sits on pet store shelves for months at a time on average?
    Here's a link to contact Seachem about it:
    http://www.seachem.com/Contact/Contact.html
    :cool: I can honestly say I never truly thought about that...then again I'm always busy with one thing or another; but now you have me curious.

5. Anthony

I was going to contact Seachem to get their take on it as well. I'll post their response when I hear from them.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

okay, I was going to do the same...but I'll just wait to hear what they reply to you in regards to shelf life or HOW to tell if it is expired since their is no date on the bottle?

7. Anthony

I included the shelf life and if there is one how can you tell if it's expired question as well.

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

9. Anthony

Hopefully they'll be pretty quick to respond and I'll hear something sometime tomorrow.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I wouldn't count on that. But who knows, maybe they'll suprise us with a quick response.

11. Anthony

Yeah I know. :) I'm hoping though.

12. Anthony

Well, I got this just now... So I guess you can only use Prime once to remove chlorine from Purigen ?

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Were you trying to reuse it?

14. Anthony

In the container, yes. I actually had been and just adding a bit more to compensate for the amount the Purigen holds as you pull the bag out.

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

good to know, thanks for posting the response and I'm truly amazed they responded so quickly

16. Anthony

I am too. Last time I sent in a question I think it took 3 days to get an answer.