1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Progession of a 46 gallon reef tank

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by California Cowgirl, Jul 25, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

yea, i bought it at petco when i turned my 20 gallon, brackish, and according to the card, 0 ammonia is supposed to be yllow, and 7.5 is a really dark dark green, and inbetween the two are different shades of green. But the color that showed in the tube, after waiting the 15min like i had to, it was dark blue :/

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Did a quick search...came up with complaints on the test kit saying tested ammonia and colors weren't on chart..compared with other brands and highly inaccurate.

quick link--> Red sea Ammonia Mini Lab
    Ps. I've read where some test kits will turn blue when the maximum concentration has been exceeded :confused:

3. California Cowgirl

kk, i'll take a look at it, with my brackish tank i never had issues, it was almost always at yellow. I was thinking about getting a new test kit, maybe it's about time, as when i get into corals i will be needing very accurate readings

4. California Cowgirl

link doesn't work, says file not found :/

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

sorry, I fixed it (guess you can't link directly to their review page)?

6. California Cowgirl

kk i'll look again :)

yea i guess i'm having the same problem as the one guy, looks like more money put in on this tank

7. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member

I like the rock work
    Is it all live rock?
    how many lbs?

Rick

8. California Cowgirl

thanks! yup, it's all live, but now i'm seeing big white blotches on a lot of the rock, i think it might be dying, hopefully it will come back. And i probably have 75lbs of lr

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Does the white blotches blow off if you were to use a turkey baster and squirt water over the area?

And are you dosing with Ca? Because too much Ca can cause what your describing...and if this is the cause of the white stuff it should blow off with a baster.

10. California Cowgirl

haven't tested if it blows off, and i haven't dosed with anything yet. I looked it up online, and i guess the white blotches are part of the cycling process, with the live rock "dying" in a way, but the rock never actually dies but just loses color, and when the cycling process is complete the rock will get it's color back

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

mine never turned white when I had live rock?
    your lfs didn't bleach them did they to clean them (doubting this, but that's what come to mind when I hear white on rock)?

12. California Cowgirl

not sure, all i know was that it was cured once in fiji, then cured again at the lfs. I think the white was on before i put it in my tank, along with the red and green colors that i have been seing on the rocks

13. California Cowgirl

some updated pics, tank is 24 hours old, you'll see some pics with dying rock, and some red and green stuff growing on the rock, and a couple random shots.

017.JPG 019.JPG 020.JPG 021.JPG 022.JPG 023.JPG 032.JPG

14. California Cowgirl

so here are some pics of the two tanks side by side. It's going to be a HUGE change for my puffer.

042.JPG 043.JPG 044.JPG

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Looking really nice, I've never experienced that when I had live rock (the bleaching look)?
    I always though when live rock died it turned black (could be wrong on this!)

16. California Cowgirl

i think you might have already had fully cured rock then, if you didn't experience what my rocks are doing

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yea, they were supposed to be cured (lfs had basement filled with the stuff in tanks)

18. California Cowgirl

yea, you lucked out then :D my rocks were supposed to be cured twice, but guess not, oh well, my tank has to cycle anyways

19. California Cowgirl

Alright, so earlier in this thread i mentioned how my parents were really starting to get into my fish tank. They have now said that since i'm spending this much money to not put the puffer in the new tank and leave him in his 20 gall, and get some nice fish.

Now that i have been thinking about that, i will either keep him in his 20 gall, or give him to the lfs.

So they parents watched Finding Nemo the night after we got my tank setup and they said they want a dorie and a nemo, lol i told them no dorie as with it being a tang my tank is no where big enough, and ok on a clown *not a huge fan, but whateva*

So here's the potential stocking list:

1 clownfish
    1 melanurus wrasse
    1 royal gramma
    1 goby
    and a bunch of clean up crew

20. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I dealt with them for all my saltwater specimens...wayy cheaper than my lfs even with the shipping included!
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.saltwaterfish.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.saltwaterfish.com/</a>
    Recommending to look into these:
    banggaii cardinal
    false percula clownfish
    purple firefish goby
    yellow clown goby
    empty hermit shells--> and blueleg hermit crab and halloween hermit crab
    fireshrimp or cleaner shrimp
    cerith snails and Nassarius snails
    Pencil Urchin

(all above are compatible..not meaning to say throw it all in your tank..just letting you know any/all of the suggestions should get along to give you a starting point).