1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

protein skimmer placement

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by jerry6389, Jan 1, 2012.

1. jerry6389

jerry6389 Thread Starter New Member

Hi:I have looked at refuguims online, most place the skimmer an the return end . Would it make more sense to put it up front at the water inlet side to skim the protien before going to the sump?
    I am planning a sump / refugium with live rock and some plants. Trying for some biological filtration. Thanks in advance
    Jerry V

2. MasterBlue

MasterBlue Active Member

I've got no experiance on this AT ALL, but my 2cents is that if you do if first, couldn't the skimmed stuff end up back into the water in the tank? Again, just an uneducated guess.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'm trying to picture this in my head (mind you it's been a while since my saltwater setup).

Your basically wanting to put the protein skimmer directly in front of your (hob/canister/etc) filter which would basically only enable it to catch the "clean"/ "filtered" water ?

I believe this may answer your question...but if not, please post back so others can assist you :)
    see step 8 --> http://www.ehow.com/how_7820632_build-p ... water.html