1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Puffer Fish Food Question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 26, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

So my puffer is finally getting bigger. I'm thinking of changing his food a bit. I give him clams and dried plankton. I've tried to get snails but the petstore's are all to big for him. So should i try to give him ghost shrimp or crabs. Oh i also tried crickets with him, just to see what he would do and all i saw him do was poke at it so i'm not sure if he actually ate it

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Frozen krill/plankton, gut-loaded ghost shrimp, glass worms, crickets, worms and small snails (the size of their eye). Snails are an essential food to a puffer's diet, especially when small.

3. California Cowgirl

kk, i've tried to get some small snails, but all the petstores have are the size of his head, i'm thinking about going to get him a crab tomorrow, he seemed to like the crickets, he just couldn't eat the hind end of the cricket for some reason

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

snails, you need snails...I just squished about 30 of the buggers today when I did my partial. (not the mystery snails..the other lil kucky ones).

5. California Cowgirl

maybe when if i get the crab tomorrow i'll ask for small snails, but i don't think i'll be able to get the crab at the same time because then they'll know it's for food and not a pet. If mystery snails are the big ones, that's what they have. Any idea what the name of the small snails are

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

don't know the name of the nuisance small snails that normally come on plants...but those are the ones I was talking about smooshing and removing from my tank today. If their are more would you like me to stockpile them for ya?

7. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

I love puffers. I had a few figure 8's but had no idea how to care for them and they did not make it. I felt horrible. I learned to stop making spur of the moment fish purchases like that. Do you have pics of them.

8. California Cowgirl

hmm lol if the shipping would be super cheap, as once again i am broke

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I could ship them any way you want. Priority shouldn't be bad and 2-3 days they'd be there. Next thursday when I do the water change I'll see if I got them all OR if their are any left. If their are some left I'll pm ya!

10. California Cowgirl

awww i'm sorry about your puffers :( i've had mine about 6 months now i think and doing great. And lol he was a spur of the moment purchase for me as well. And once he ate my other fish i decided to research on them. And sure i'll try to find some pics of him, he's very skiddish and it's hard to get a good shot.

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

wow, what a pudger!

12. California Cowgirl

ok sounds good, and if the shipping is only like a couple dollars (hopefully) i'll do it, cause i doubt the petstores would have anything small enough, i've been wanting to get him snails since i got him and could never find any small enough

13. California Cowgirl

lol that was after he ate, now he's slighty rounder, hasn't got any longer yet but his stomach has changed sine then

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Ok, I'l check on thursday when I do my next partial.
    I'm amazed somewhere like petsmart doesn't have a slew of them on their plants/in their planted tank thingy ma bob.
    Please forgive me, I know next to nothing on puffers (had one and traded it because I was clueless on how to care for it after doing research that contradicted what the store told me)
    What about feeding them rinsed brine shrimp?

15. California Cowgirl

yea, i asked the store with when i got him if he would be ok with the other fish that i had and they said yes, and this was at an actual fish only store. Brine fish live or dried? And i'll ask them again tomorrow for any small snails on their plants i may have better luck with snails than crabs and the snails should be free

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I'd think live? I have the dried and it's rather big imo.

17. California Cowgirl

ok, i'll also check that out tomorrow as wel, it took me forever to get him something to eat something, and he loved the dried plankton

18. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

also, maybe the frozen food section of the petstore for mysis shrimp, bloodworms, krill.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

He is stunning!! I love his lil belly...hee hee! I also learned more as I read and the whole brackish water thing really was not my thing. I mean I could do it, but salt water is a special thing and I barely have time for freshwater...LOL!! When the kiddos are older and do not need so much attention I might give her a go with a very cycled tank.

20. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If you can get him to eat Mysis Shrimp that would meet all of his nutritional requirements.