1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Puffer keeps hitting the ground and white spot on fin

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by California Cowgirl, May 7, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

ok, good thing i only bought a small bottle of the stuff, what brand do you suggest that i should try to find

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Kick Ich.

3. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

ok i'll try to find that brand over the next day or so

4. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

when i did some research on ick turns out from what i read fresh water ick and salt water ick are completely different(didnt know that lol) but i read you just need tons of water changes and that should fix it

5. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

They are different but water changes won't get rid of ich

6. kbekl

kbekl New Member

i know this is an old thread but for reference you could look at hyposalinty if this is the only fish or if in qt drop the salinty to 1.009 and this will kill the parasite off you can also look at a freshwater dip for 5mins depending on the fishes behaviour whilst in freshwater

7. genettico

genettico New Member

Actually this medication works just fine on ridding the parasite attached to fish. It contains formaldehyde. Although the marine ICK is different from freshwater, the medications or treatments to deal with illnesess and/or parasites are the same in lots of instances. When in doubt, read the label and check for the solution concentrations as this might be one of the biggest differences.

8. genettico

genettico New Member

it is a good idea to have and understand basics in the in reading and interpretation of water parameter results. You mentioned you did a 30% water change in your tank plus you moved the fish plus something else I cant re-call. Sometimes, the best cure is just CONSTANCY in water parameters. Doing such a large water change in a small system sometimes is more detrimental than helpful. If you tested the water, and only after interpreting the results you believe the quemistry is to blame for your fish's condition so please do correct it pronto, but if there's nothing wrong with the water, the differences in temperature, density ph and others might be a dead sentence for an already weak, ill fish.

9. genettico

genettico New Member

No need to bring salinity to such LOW level. You can drop it to about 1.017 or so. Remember please to do it GRADUALLY, and over several days or even weeks, not just overnight.