1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

pumps

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by jonny123, Jun 11, 2010.

1. jonny123

jonny123 Thread Starter New Member

i have a 90 gal salt tank with drilled overflow .sump is a 20 gal fish tank. my ? is what size pump doess it need to pump water back up to tank the pump i have no markings at all clueless

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's a pretty small sump for a 90 gallon tank. You should be using about a 1000 GPH pump but I'm not sure how you have it setup and whether a 1000 GPH will work with the 20 gallon tank.

3. jonny123

it came with the tank maybe biger but they had it fill 1/2 way up with the skimer heater sand filter so on in it . i used plixie egg crate light stuff about one foot by one foot space for bio balls. i have lots lots of water movement put in like 2 doz feeder fish they swim fine. was thinking of geting a smaler pump or may put a vavle on the pump going out ? to slow it down a bit its for frashwater fish

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, if you put a ball valve on there you can adjust the flow.

5. jonny123

yeah but wont that be bad for the pump or its ok and if i buy a new one id want 1000 GPH? seems alot lol i wanna keep a spare on hand just incase lol

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Every sump setup I've seen has always had ball valves on their pump intake or outtakes. I've never used a sump though so I can't speak from experience.

7. jonny123

you have a salt tank no sump or refugen ?

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I don't have a saltwater tank now but have had several in the past, none of which used sumps/fuges.