1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Python Water Changer/Gravel Vac

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Anonymous, Oct 5, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

AMAZING, kinda confusing to get working if you dont read the directions, but once I did it was easy as heck. Water changes take about 1/10 of the time and effort they did before. For example, it took me 20 or 30 mins to vaccuum, drain, and refill my 125 gallon tank (emptied about 40 gallons). If you dont have one and you have multiple tanks, buy one and you will not regret it. You could probably even make one and I know Pee Wee (crazhse) has made his own so maybe he will post it in the DIY section!

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I totally second this products review by uncwnells...
    I will never ever go back to the bucket. The python is the best creation for aquarium owners.

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

The only thing I did not like about the Python (I do have 1) is that you are pouring tap water directly into your tank. I seemed to have issues with chlorine burn and my fish when I used it. I tried de-chlorinating both before and after the water change and neither seemed to work well.

Needless to say, sense then I have kept to the bucket method as I know how much de-chlorinator to use.

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I just dose for the whole tank each time never been a problem.

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Hey if it works for you.... it is a great tool I just personally prefer not to use it. That is the great thing about opinions, we each have our own :D

6. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

I am like unc i have no problems either
    I just add extra before i put the water back in

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

uncW i am in no way affliated with that classless, trashy school known as unc

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I got one too (*Python 100ft)...Love It Love It Love It! I definately don't miss the back breaking chore of lifting those buckets back & forth! I truly have no clue why I was so leary of getting one causing me to wait forever to finally purchase it. Definately read the little booklet as uncwnells warns or it definately can be confusing! I dose with Prime before I add water back in...I just judge and add a touch more just to be on the safe side. The one thing I love most about it is that you don't have to burp (agitate rapidly up and down) or suck on the end of it to get it started. Definately a HUGE Plus!

9. SyncereOne

SyncereOne New Member

One quick tip....if you use the inline valve at all, remember to open it when you go to refill your tank. My wife got an interesting surprise the other night. I had the valve shut, and she was in the kitchen where the python was connected it. I had just primed my Xp3 and asked her to cut the water on to top of the tank. Needless to say when she did, the pressure pushed the connector off, and spray water all over her....

She said that was the last time she would help change water....lol

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

hahaha thats hilarious!

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I like the python as well. But it's not for boyfriends butt hole stepdads that throw/step on it and break the peice that makes it pour water out.... now I have to buy another! Other than that I love it!!!!

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Three quarters of the way through the first sentence my mind went to an area I dont want to it ever go, the mental picture was horrible.

13. PetsGoRound

PetsGoRound New Member

I have used the python and love it. I for some reason cut mine up for draining several tanks :x So now I must get another

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

you did what to it?

15. caronsd

caronsd New Member

Pythons are great if your water out of your tap is good. I just bought a 50' python for 20 bucks from a guy on cl and I love it. Probably should have bought new though since the 50' are only like 50 bucks shipped :( oh well.. i guess i'm just cheap.

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

shoot you saved $30 and got it that day, Id say thats a win

17. Ms. Wright

Ms. Wright Member

You can buy hose the will fit any most hardware stores, at way less than you'd pay at a pet store. If the siphon part is broken buy a small siphon with the correct size rigid nozzle.
    I live in the country, so I drain the tank water out the back door, and just refill from my kitchen tap. Any PH boosters that need to be added, just get dumped into the tank as it fills. I do use a Python, but not that sink switchover thingy; I just use it like a loooong tank vacuum. :D
    Doing the refill job at school, with city water, I put a 5g bucket under the sink faucet, drop in a submersible pump, add the chemicals (dechlor, etc.) to the bucket, and refill from there. Tedious, but easier than buckets.

18. NoctuVide

NoctuVide Member

I just got one of these for Christmas from my girlfriend. I used it for the first time the other day, and I have to say, it is one of the best inventions ever made!

19. Ryanstech

Ryanstech New Member

I built one, it's exactly the same as the python except I don't have a clear hose. it cost me about $12. If there is enough interest I could take pictures and document the process. parts needed:

-water bed drain and fill kit (exactly the same piece as python for sink, $5 at walmart or hardware store)
    -garden hose or clear tubing (and hose adapter if you use the clear tubing)

those are the basics, I added a shutoff valve at the end of mine and castrated an old gravel vac to attach to the end of the DIY python.

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I think it would be a great help if you documented the process!