1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

question about CO2

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Feb 17, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

question about CO2

OK I'm planing to add java moss to my tank and I have 2 java ferns. I might add other plants.

the light is a low light set up for my tank size. it like 1 to 2 watts per gallon.

and I was wondering if a small DIY CO2 would be a good idea to add.

I'm also think about a planted tank with dwarf puffer in it. I don't have a light for it yet so I don't know if it will be a low or mid or high light set up yet. would CO2 be a good thing?

2. BobV

BobV Member

not really necessary for low light set up......try Flourish Excel instead...but follow directions.....ODing can cause some plants to die off.....DO NOT overdose

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

so for my 20 gallon it not need.

do you you think it would be a good idea for the 10 gallon tank if it a mid light or higher tank?

The reason I'm asking is I plan to set my ten gallon up soon like with in the next week to start cycling.

4. James0816

James0816 New Member

Once you get in the 2+wpg range, you should consider adding C02 and fertilizers depending on what plants you are going to keep.

< 2wpg, as mentioned above, Excel will be fine

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks for your help, if that the case could any point to a good DIY designs.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

would this work for CO2

would this work for CO2

By the looks of thing It a 2 litter bottle hook up to another bottle that has a power head add to it. would you guys say this is a OK set up for a low budget person?

link
    <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4cTyXU3pT0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4cTyXU3pT0</a>

7. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

Re: would this work for CO2

for my personal opinion i dont think it would work but this is my opinion
    1. gravel will get blown away by powerhead eventually
    2. it looks ugly especcially with powerhead wire
    3. it difuses cor wich stays in the gravel and doesnt circulate.

so i think this would make more sense because the co2 will circulate and wont cause problems <a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3l7zxc6TgU&feature=related" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l3l7zxc6 ... re=related</a>

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

thanks I'll take a look at it.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

dang can't edited your last post, I'm so going to e-mail the maker of that video and see if he help give the design plans to build that, and it shouldn't look that bad in my tank too.

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

just to warn you java fern is prolly the slowest growing plant on the earth

11. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

No, that would be Anubias!

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Lol, I will give it to you that they are neck in neck! I have had both for the same amount of time and neither has grown a milimeter!

13. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

My freaking discus rip the Anubias up quicker than it can grow :roll:

At least I had a boom with the Java Fern once... (you may have too much light on the Java Fern, it grows best with almost no light. I upgraded my lights, my Java Fern supply depleted.)

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

they seem to grow fine for me, even with a low light set up(the java ferns) in fact there was one time I had 5 or 6 and I only bought 1 plant. However because of my stupidity I'm down to 2.

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I prolly do have too much light, I have never had luck with java moss, it always turns dark green/brown on me and looks horrible.

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I'm going to be upgrade hopefully to a mid light set up, the guys at the hardware store order and we are going to see if it will work. of course I'm going to have to build a reflector for it. but what I'm looking at is a three bulb set up. and it comes with 18 watt bulbs. I'm going to keep them at 18 or reduce them to 15 watt lights.