1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Question about my Betta...

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by JustinG, Aug 24, 2015.

1. JustinG

JustinG Thread Starter New Member

So for the past month I have setup my new aquarium. Its been quite a learning experience!

One of the fish in there is a female veiltail betta. 4 weeks ago, her stomach area turned white and became swollen. I looked up online what could be causing this, and found "Dropsy", with the only cure being "certain death".

Naturally at this point I flipped out a bit, however after that day I have been very closely monitoring her, and within 24 hours the swelling went down. She never stopped her normal activities, still had an appetite, would swim happily. I also noticed, when her stomach was swollen, she wasn't "Pineconing" (scales sticking out) as people have described with dropsy.

Could it just have been eggs, or constipation? Its been 4 weeks and she has yet to do anything out of the ordinary, and is still eating and swimming happily.

What do you guys think? Given its been 4 weeks and dropsy is supposed to kill within days, I'd say I'm safe, but some peace of mind would be nice.