1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Question on buying angelfish

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by Rain, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Rain

Rain Thread Starter New Member

I want to get a Platinum Blue Angel for my 29 gallon and I only have room for one, but everyone on Aquabid sells them in 3-packs or more. Is this because they have a high mortality rate or because it's silly to buy just one? I planned to ask sellers if they would sell me one, but I don't want to buy one that will turn around and die. If they have a high mortality rate, should I buy a few and then try to sell or give the extras away when they get too big?

Thank you!

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Have you ever kept angels before?

3. Rain

Rain Thread Starter New Member

No. I've never had a tank big enough. I didn't even know I could keep angels in a 29 gallon until recently, so that went right up on my list.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Angelfish shouldn't really be kept single, that's why.

5. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Says who, I have a pinoy angel that has been alone his entire life, about 1 year now and I have seen no ill affects. I would say buy the three, as long as they are dime size or smaller they will be fine in the 29. The hard truth is in probably 6 months you will only have one left.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Says most people, no ?

Keeping one doesn't mean death will shortly follow but IMO angels aren't happy in solitude.

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Angels are a schooling fish, they have a need to have others of the same species around for companionship as well as overall longevity of the fish. Strength in numbers.

The angels that are sold in trios are juveniles, this gives the buyer the option to breed them IF they pair up but at that age its mainly for their health. I sell them no less then 6 per transaction.
    Keeping an angel alone is like keeping a lone discus, they will not live long (1 year is NOT long for an angel, Ive had them live over 8 years before.) by themselves.