1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Question on plants

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by California Cowgirl, Feb 9, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

So i will be starting my fire belly toad tank next week, and I have a question about plants and lighting. I will be planning on putting the plants on the land part as there won't be enough water in the tank for a water plant. So i heard that pothos are good beginner plants. And toads are supposed to not have a hot light, so i was wondering what kind of light would you suggest would work best for both the plants and the toads

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

No one light will work for both. You will need a reptile light and a plant light. As for the plants, the one you mentioned is very easy and well suited to be in a wet environment.

Since this is more of an amphibian / reptile question I'm going to move it to the Off Topic section.

3. California Cowgirl

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Acorus would work, you plant it in the water, but does best when it is "bogged" meaning roots in the water, blades out so it would be ideal for that part. On the terrain side, I could not help you.

5. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Terrariums are very cool

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

you could heat the water with a small heater or use one of the undertank heaters, and then use a light for the plants.

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Don't they normally need the UV light though ?

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

After doing some reading and searching on google, I found this article

<a class="postlink" href="http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/terrarium/msg0408292016061.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load ... 16061.html</a>

basically says that as long as you give the crickets a vitamin D supplement you can go without. It also says that plants will grow fine under some bulb (its in the article). When I kept them I had them in a 10 gallon tank with water and a filter with dry land in the form of platforms and decorations. My mistake was that I did not heat the water.

9. California Cowgirl

ok, i've got the 5 gall heater from my betta and guppy tank (they passed away by jumping out during a water change) that i can put in the water part, and i'll look at the link

10. California Cowgirl

so i should need 25 to 50 watt bulb it seems, sounds easy enough for the plants, and any idea of hands, what other non toxic plants that would work under that condition, weather it's partiially in the water, as the water will only be 4 inches, and land

11. California Cowgirl

so for Acorus plants, when put in water, they won't need any soil or anything and just light?, sorry if this is a stupid question, i'm completley new to plants

12. LemonDiscus

Yes they will need something to bury the roots in.... but all that needs to be underwater is the roots. A little sand bottom to the water part will do fine.

13. California Cowgirl

kk if i choose not to do sand, would organic soil work, as that's what i plan to use for the land part, i also liked the look of the otos as well, and would the recommend light for fire belly toads of 25 to 50 watts work on any of these plants

14. LemonDiscus

I am not sure if it (the lighting) will, but I would assume it would.

The soil will make your water murky, and as long as it is safe for the toad it should do.... just have something that you can plant the Acorus in.

15. California Cowgirl

kk, and i got some soil today meant for aquariums so hopefully that will haelp the murkeyness