1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

question regarding cracked tank

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by California Cowgirl, Jul 12, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:25 pm
    Question on Cracked Tanks

So just now i was cleaning my 5 gallon tank to get it ready for the sand that i just bought i slipped on some water and it ended up getting two pretty decent sized cracks, that leak. I don't have the extra money at the moment to get another tank, but i do have aquarium sealant, would this work for cracked tanks? And would it be safe to use on both the inside and outside of the tank? And how long should it take to dry

2. James0816

James0816 New Member

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:42 pm
    ICK!

If you plan on using only for a very temporary time, it may hold out if you seal it both inside and out. Are the cracks extended to the seams? That could be bad and make even a temporary repair pretty much out of the question.

Do you have a 5 gal bucket or even a rubbermaid container available? These are available options as well for a temp setup until you can get a replacment. Just move everything over into the container after it has been thouroughly cleaned.

3. California Cowgirl

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:43 pm
    Also, what's the fastest way to make it dry, i need it back up and working asap, i do have my other 5 gall up that the frogs used to be in, but i currently have snails in there, would the snails bother the frogs at all if i need to keep them in there over night

4. California Cowgirl

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:43 pm
    it's pretty close to the seams

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:44 pm
    Aquarium sealant must cure for 24 hours before putting water back in the tank.

6. California Cowgirl

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:45 pm
    ok, i'll put the frogs and one fish over in the 5 gallon, and i have like 10 snails in there so hopefully everybody lasts over night

and i relooked at the cracks, and i have a total of 3, and one is at the seam

7. James0816

James0816 New Member

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:50 pm
    Snails and frogs will be ok. As much as I hate to say it, but I would not even bother attempting any kind of repair.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:56 pm
    I agree, for a 5 gallon tank it'd be far less trouble and worry to just replace it.

9. California Cowgirl

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 6:02 pm
    ok, so for now, i've got the cories in the 5 gallon with the snails, because they were starting to pick at the feet of my frogs, and the water isin't as warm as their used to so their laying in ther rocks (still breathing) so i put my frogs' heater into the the other 5 gallon so hopefully it will warm up really quick

10. James0816

James0816 New Member

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:14 pm
    Cories picking on the frogs?? Maybe they were just picking around the ground at the frogs and not the frogs themselves. Cories wouldn't hurt a flea.

11. California Cowgirl

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:56 pm
    i actually saw one of the corries put it's mouth around the foot of one, maybe mistaked it for soemthing else?

oh, and i was able to find the same exact tank that cracked at one of the petstores, still a little expensive, but i get paid next week, so i guess its ok

12. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:21 pm
    Ashame you didn't have room for a larger tank. You coulda tossed a divider in it and put the dward frogs on one side & the glowlights, corys, and variatus on the other side.
    Use half the equipment (1 filter, 1 heater) & do half the maint. (less tanks to maintain and larger water is easier to keep stable).
    But since your limited I'm glad you'll be able to replace your tank (i'd check craiglist or ebay first for a tank that size..you should be able to get one fairly cheap).

13. James0816

James0816 New Member

Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:21 pm
    That's a relief!

And yes, I would have to say the cories ad to have a case of mistaken identity.

14. California Cowgirl

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:37 pm
    lol, i originally had the corries and the frogs in a tank for a short time until i got the 5 gallon to separate the frogs, and they did fine then

if i had a 20 long, that idea would have been perfect, and i did check craigslist and didn't see any 5 gallon for sale. Oh, and for some reason, the variatus stress so much, like when i got the corries and the tetras, it just hid, when i put her in the 10 gallon tank for a short time, she hid by where the frogs were in the plants, i don't know why a community fish would stress over other fish, and prefer frogs over fish

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:48 pm
    That doesn't sound right? Is it single (they do better in small groups 2-3 females per 1 male..basically same as a guppy in that aspect).

Try some floating plant or a dither fish to make it feel more comfortable. Tanks pretty small to do much of anything else.

16. California Cowgirl

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:54 pm
    i actually noticed her swimming around pretty activley, compared to the 10 gallon that she was in before, she always hid, what dither fish would be small enough to fit in the 5 gallon and be good with the frogs

and before i ended up buying another marigold for her, but even then she didin't do anything, but that fish ended up dying shortly after i got it

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:02 pm
    Okay, here's where I say flush it (ducks for cover).
    5 gallon is a small tank to begin with, then you wont have to add food for the fish which if overfeeding will just cause water quality problems in a tank that size. Also, You could keep it frog only-easier to feed, no worries on anyone "picking" at them ;) Also good if you want to experiement with breeding (can probably sell the offspring).

18. James0816

James0816 New Member

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:06 pm
    I will have to say I hope this doesn't mean what I think it means! :mad:

So I'll just stay mum on this one.

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:09 pm
    Flush a fish, that's not dead ? Um, that's illegal in a lot of places.

20. California Cowgirl

Posted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 9:13 pm
    shall have to think about it, all i feed my fish now are the bloodworms, i knew the 5 gall was to small for it, but with it being so stressed in the 10 gallon with the other fish, my choices were to flush, or put in 5 gall, so right now, it's 5 gall, and breeding afd's would be awesome! i would love to have tadpoles, but no idea if frogs are males or females, plus one has a lump on it's back, may be a tumor, but i'm not really sure, but it's doing fine, the bump doesnt affect it, so i just call it quazzy moto

Ps. so of course, after i already bought the new tank, somebody is selling a 5 gall for $5 on cl