1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

question regarding filtration for 30g long

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Leslie, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Leslie

Leslie Thread Starter New Member

Can i make a 10 gal filter work anyway on a 30 gal long?
    Can i make a 10 gal filter work anyway possable on a 30 gal long? Some one had said they could make a 10 gal filter work buy doing some adjustments to it. I didnt know if this was ever possable.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Several filters rated for a 10 gallon but not a single one.

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I agree with Anthony. You can run a 10 gallon filter, but you will need to keep up on water-changes (about 2-3 times more than normal). Not exactly fun but it could work.

Your best bet is to get another filter that will work on your tank (ie: properly filtered or overfiltered). I dont recommend using too small of a filter but you can do it.

4. Leslie

So there is no way to adjust a 10 gal filter to work for a 30 gal? only reason i am asking is like i said before someone told me they could make adjustments to it to make it work

5. LemonDiscus

I really dont think so. Nothing will change the surface area the water can flow through. If it is a Whisper medium cartridge, the only way you can get more surface area is to use a Whisper Large bag. And that cannot fit into the bucket of the filter. I mean, if it is a Whisper you "could" take a motor from a larger filter but then you still have the smaller surface area of the filter bag. I know of no way you can "amp up" a small motor with a small filter bag.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Yeah, there's really nothing that can be done. IF there were a way to change the pump on the filter it would be sucking in too much water and more than likely just overflow the filter housing and you'd end up with water all over the floor.

7. Leslie

ok. well i got a message saying "they can make me a sump. I could make it out of a 10 gallon, or a rubbermaid container. Comes with media."
    so that isnt possable?

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You got a message where ? A 10 gallon sump is different than a filter rated for 10 gallons.

9. Leslie

it was from some where else. I thought a sump and a filter was the same thing. what is a sump??

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well, a sump can/does filter your tank but it doesn't hang onto your tank like a filter does. You'd need an overflow or have your tank drilled, the sump, a pump, and media.

11. Leslie

well never mind with that. thanks for telling me the difference.

12. LemonDiscus

Makes sense, the 10 gallon would be used as the filter for a larger tank such as a 55 gallon. The HOB filter actually would not be used as the 10 gallon tank would be the filter and then you have to have a pump to return the water from the 10 gallon back to the 55...

In your case, with freshwater it really is not necessary.

13. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Its a 30 gallon tank you should get a filter thats atleast rated at 120 gph, 300 gph would be best. Your looking at paying about $30-40.00 for it.

14. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

You could make a 10g filter work on a 30, but in my mind it definately won't provide optimal filtration unless your planning on keeping say 1 small fish. Even then you'll probably have to do ALOT of water changes to keep the water quality good. Circulation will also be poor with a filter of this size on a 30g. Why would you want to underfilter your water? In having optimal water quality & a nice clear tank I would suggest OVER filtration, definately not underfiltration. If you definately want to run the 10g filter I would suggest adding an additional filter that is suggested for your tank volume at a minimum or MUCH MUCH higher. Basically get the biggest size filter you can afford & that will fit on your tank. Usually with a canister you can go huge since it sits below or off to the side of your tank and only the hoses go into the tank. With hob (hang on back filters) you'll be a little more limited...as you have to allow proper spacing (usually about 4+" behind the aquarium) for them. With sumps you can do just about anything and hide most/if not all your equipment inside of them.

-> When deciding on where the majority of the budget should go AFTER the purchase of the tank I would suggest the following:
    1. Filtration & Media---Go for the highest flowrate you can afford & have spacing for (h.o.b Hang on back filters require you to leave more spacing behind the tank, Canisters require the least amount of space behind the tank, And a sump..if you have the room is just sweet & allows you to hide most/if not all of your equipment).
    2. Heaters & a thermometer--two is best when it comes to heaters, that way if one fails the other one will still function.
    3. De-clorinator--(Prime, Amquel+) Unless you are using a ro/di and your water has tested safe
    4. Any additional chemicals you will need (ie. Flourish, Flourish Excel, Flourish Iron, Ph adjuster, etc)
    5. Test Kit--unless you have a lfs (live fish store) nearby that can test your water when needed...remember emergencies can occur when their closed!
    6. Substrate--(if you choose to use it)Sand, gravel, Eco-complete, etc.
    7. Siphon/Bucket---can even make a siphon...I like the python myself, but that's me personally. It has its goods and bads as with everything.
    8. Good quality foods depending on what your planning on keeping
    **Keep in mind, this is just a quick list of the most important items**
    Theirs always whistles and bells & odds n' ends such as:
    Air pump, check valves, Airline Tubing, Gang Valves, Airline Suction Cup holders, Power Heads, Power strips for all of the plugs, lunar lights, Timers for lights, glass canopies, RO DI System, U.V. Sterilizers, Wavemakers, Protein Skimmers (Salt), and the list goes on and on!