1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

question regarding hikari brand algae wafers

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by bruddaone, Aug 11, 2009.

1. bruddaone

bruddaone Thread Starter New Member

Will Hikari Algae Wafers...
    bring snails...we seem to have been infested with snails since we started using Hikari for a Otocinclus Catfish we purchased is that usual...the plants we have had in the tank have been in there for a few months...no snails...start using the Algae Wafers snails...we put a couple apples in there...to see if we could round them up...

2. James0816

James0816 New Member

nope...not from the waffers. they've hitchkiked from somewhere. swap out the apples for lettuce. that should do the trick.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

110% agree with James..not the wafers!
    <--uses cucumbers to lure them and zuchinni :)

4. bruddaone

Thanks guys...I have no idea where they came from then...the last plant we brought was at least 2 months ago....

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

It could have been eggs on a plant... hatched and grown... I would bet it was a plant you got them from... (i got them from plants)

6. bruddaone

Yea, I thought we were pretty thorough in getting anything foreign off the plants....my only concern really is them getting out the tank and getting on the walls and carpet...

7. LemonDiscus

They wont leave your tank... I have several dozen and they are ALWAYS in the tank.... the crazy thing is to watch the snail crawl on the surface of the water upside down.... (hard to describe you just have to see)

8. bruddaone

"...the crazy thing is to watch the snail crawl on the surface of the water upside down...."

Did you really have to tell me that...now I'm going to be forever watching the tank to see that...LOL...I have work to do...sheeshh

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

the only ones that have "escaped" my tank have been the mystery snails..and it's a mystery as to why they do this too.
    haha! Corny, but just had to!

10. B Haley

B Haley New Member

LOL!!! Watch one of my golfball sized pond snails crawl on the surface... jaw dropping!

Holy Snail Batman!!

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol, traptdoor ones?

12. James0816

James0816 New Member

I love the whole "walking/slithering" on water bit. I get a kick out of it every time I see them do it.

13. LemonDiscus

Im glad I am not the only one to see that... the first time I saw it I thought it was crawling on the top... I looked closer and it was just upside down in the water... I actually saw one go from the surface back to the glass...

14. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Snails are mysterious creatures and seem to arrive out of thin air. Def. not from the wafers, though.

15. ikagan

ikagan New Member

Take a small plate and place it in the center of the tank with a slice of cucumber on it. The next morning you can lift the plate out which should have many snails on it. Do as many times as needed to control the snail population. As everyone has already mentioned the eggs must have been brought in on a plant or possibly an ornament from another tank. Read this tip in one of the hobby magazines and it really works!

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

lol, I think I beat ya to the cucumber idea...I didn't see it in a magazine though...experienced lfs keeper told me it when I first started into the hobby.

17. ikagan

ikagan New Member

It really does work.

18. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

get assasin snails