1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

question regarding larger tanks- supporting of such

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by eeyipes, Jul 7, 2008.

1. eeyipes

eeyipes Thread Starter New Member

Supporting Larger Tanks
    Just wondering,

For those of you with larger size tanks, 55 gal +, did you do anything special to add extra floor support for your heavier tank? Did you make any special preparations or take the weight of the tank into consideration when selecting a spot for it in your home?

2. FiReR@T

FiReR@T New Member

Most of the time you will not need to do anything, as all of your stands are made to disperse the weight of the tank anyways. My house was built in 1927 and I have all my tanks up with no problems!

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

My grandparents house was built in 1860 and I never had a problem having large tanks when I lived there.

4. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

hah i dont trust any of them i get a ruogh cut 6x12 and cinder blocks and put them under my floor joists
    better safe then sorry
    but then again if it wont for bad luck id have no luck at all

5. gamerout

gamerout New Member

I just purchased a large tank for turtles and we got a sturdy wooden stand for it. It fits nicely and really makes it look good.

6. eeyipes

eeyipes Thread Starter New Member

he he we've got about 10 steel foundation jacks all throughout the basement (3 story 100 yo house) I don't think we really need them, but it helps DH sleep better at night. If I ever get a big tank I guess I'll have to add one more under it just for his piece of mind.

7. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Sounds like overkill to me but if you're nervious about it and you sleep better at night that peace of mind is always good.

8. ted3325

ted3325 New Member

wooden stands support the load of a big tank by crossing one or more floor joists while iron stands only have the 4 legs to support the load no t so good. if you have angle iron welded across the legs more suface area better support.