1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

question regarding new setup using old tanks water & filters

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

New tank old filters

Im moving soon and going to be setting up a 125 gallon tank, as i have asked a million questions about already. I have 2 Penguin 400's that im going to be running in the tank and i have been running them in my 29 and 55 gallon tanks for the last few months so they are cycled and full of bacteria. When i make the move i am going to have the ability to keep my tanks running at my parents house while im getting adjusted in mine. I plan to add water from both of my tanks to the 125 to start th process and then add the two filters. The real question is, how long should i let things settle before adding my fish? I know adding the cycled filters and some water will help but im assuming it wont do the job completly.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

At the most your tank will go through a mini cycle which if you keep on top of water changes won't be a problem. As soon as you add the water, filters and heaters when the water is pretty clear, add the fish. You don't want to leave the filters without any ammonia to feed the bacteria for very long.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

OK great that will make things much easier, then i can basically move everything the same day....its going to be fun shuffling fish from one tank to another until the right one is set up for them to go in.
    thanks

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Are those the only two filters you will be using on the 125?

5. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I have a fluidized bed filter i was considering hooking up, and i also have a magnum 350 but im too damn cheap to buy a new impeller for it. So yes i was planning to run those to for starters and then get the fluidized bed going once im settled into my new house.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I would definetly suggest way more filtration than that. On my 125 I have 2 ac110s, a rena xp3 cannister filter, and a fluval fx5. I consider this a little over kill, but you can never over filtrate.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I totally agree with you but the tank will be understocked to start off with, like i say i just bought a house so my "fish money" kinda went out the window for the time being. But when the time comes i plan to add a good canister filter. My buddy has a fluval 400, and really likes it so i may go with one of those.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

good luck