1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

question regarding overfiltering

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by stevenrox, Nov 11, 2008.

1. stevenrox

stevenrox Thread Starter New Member

filter
    i was just wondering most people have like 55 gallon tanks but buy one thats like rated 100 or something because they say it just makes the water cleaner is this true or it doesnt matter?

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

On my 55 gallon tank I have a ac110 rated for tanks up to 110 gallons and a biowheel 400 rated for tanks up to 80 gallons, on my 125 gallon tank I have an fx5 rated for tanks up to 500 gallons, two ac110s rated for 110 gallon tanks and a xp3 rated for 200 gallon tanks I think. Can you see the trend, overfiltration is not possible ever.

3. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

When choosing a filter(s) a good rule of thumb is to try to filter around 10x your tank volume an hour.

4. stevenrox

stevenrox Thread Starter New Member

lol i was just wondering because mines is like that to and some times if i got a filter lying around i just set it up and up it on

5. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Overfilter your fish will thank you :)

6. SyncereOne

SyncereOne New Member

On a 75G, I run an XP3, an AC110, and an AC70...like it has been said...overfiltration is not possible. I run carbon and sponges in the AC110, carbon, sponges, Efiemsubstrat Pro, and more sponges in my XP3, and all bio media in my AC70.