1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

question regarding silicone odor

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by ontheairship, Aug 4, 2009.

1. ontheairship

ontheairship Thread Starter New Member

Has anyone ever used silicone in an aquarium or vivarium and afterward it has a real bad smell? Like real strong vinegar? I just used it in my crested gecko's tank and I don't know what to do. Since I'm sure most of you guys have used silicone I figured it was worth a shot to ask here first before signing up for a whole new forum. Thanks ;)

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

It stinks! I used it once... I used it for a divider... I STINKS... give it a day or 2 and it goes away..

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I attempted to use it to make pvc caves and adhese gravel to them...it stinks exactly like STRONG vinegar.
    Agree with lemon 24-48hours and it should fade >>put it somewhere well ventilated (outside)

4. ontheairship

thanks for the quick reply! i really appreciate it. I was super scared to put him in it but I did it last night so I'll just wait til tomorrow to bring him home. Thanks again! I'll post a picture of it as soon as I find my camera (my phone has no flash)

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Rinse it out before adding the fish if so soon... you will get on the surface of the water a discoloration meaning possible toxins if you dont... I did put mine in too soon.. they were not affected by it but just a warning...

6. James0816

James0816 New Member

The question is...what kind of silicone did you use? Just askin as most aren't safe for aquatic use. And yes....pheewwwwww weeee! Can't stand the smell.

7. ontheairship

Thanks for the suggestions about fish. I'm going to be starting a paludarium soon so it was very helpful. The silicone went in my crested gecko's tank so no worries about fish just yet. As far as which kind I just grabbed the cheapest at walmart. What should I use in the future? More specifically, whats the cheapest to use in the future? Thanks for all he help! :)

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Always use GE Silicone 1. It's 100% silicone and is aquarium safe. It used to say it on the tube but for some reason they removed it. It's still the same product though.

9. ontheairship

Thanks! [bfish] [nemo] ;)

10. ira

ira Member

It's best to use silcone made for aquariums.specialy you are building or replacing glass. for this wait 3 weeks before adding water inside sealing wait 1 week. reglar 100% silcone will work for this

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

3 weeks for sealing?
    48 -72 hours tops for every product I've ever read (aquarium sealant and the g.e)?

12. ira

ira Member

That's only when building a aquairums. The company all glass does not sell tanks until they are at less a month old. if you are justsealing the inside 3 or 4 days is all you have to wait.

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hmm... learned something new. I never knew aga waits a month before selling.

14. ira

ira Member

It takes time for sealer to cure comptely throuh even longer for larger tanks

15. cooltow1

cooltow1 Member