1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

question regarding the aquarium use of found rocks

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

"Found" Rocks
    Does anybody here use rocks you've found for your tanks?

I've heard of people having problems with hitchhikers contaminating their aquariums when they've added rocks they've taken from bodies of water.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Any rock found in a river/pond should be cleaned very well before placing it in an aquarium. Also, make sure the rock doesn't contain any metallic (Shiny) pieces in it. Those can often cause problems with your water quality.

A lot of people boil their rocks before placing them in tanks. Personally I would clean them with a stiff type of brush and then let them sit in the sun for a few days to dry out completely and kill any living thing on it then clean it once more.

3. Keuzeserver

Keuzeserver New Member

In the Netherlands you can't find rocks.. well you can when you steal them from someone's garden.
    We buy rocks at petshops. Rocks like this one:

[​IMG]

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Those look like a type of lava rock, correct ?

5. Keuzeserver

Keuzeserver New Member

Yes thats corrent, google didn't want to translate it from dutch.
    I didn't think it would be that easy, lava rock indeed.

6. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Thought so :D

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Lave rocks look pretty exotic to me, maybe because I don't see them in my neighbourhood. ;)

I think if I was confident that rocks I found were clean, it would make a nice "personalized" addition to a tank.

Thanks for the info.

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

You can use found rocks but they need to be thoroughly cleaned. Leaving them out in the sun won't kill off the microbes that will be on the rock because the sun won't heat the rock enough. One of the best way is probably to soak in boiling water and then bake the rock in the oven for a couple of hours at 150 degrees celcius+ . This will usually kill of most bacteria etc that could harm the fish.

9. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

If the rock dries out in the sun does that not kill any bacteria that requires water to live ?

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Nope, many strains of bacteria are resistant to drying even for prolonged periods as as fungal spores etc Drying out a rock doesn't get rid of potential harmful micro-organisms so it needs to be bleached (not necessarily the best option for aquaria) or boiled/baked (or all three).

11. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Oh okay. I wasn't aware of that. Great info!

12. Jake

Jake Administrator

i didnt know that either
    im glad i know that now ;)

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I've never put found rocks into my tank. I prefer to just use the pet shops one.

14. infoserv

infoserv New Member

I also prefer the pet store rocks. The selection may not be the same as finding unique rocks but at least you know there is a better chance of not causing any problems.

15. Jake

Jake Administrator

pet store rocks seem to be the safest route

16. noshow discus

noshow discus New Member

Posted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 7:50 am
    you can use rocks you have found but need to do some step before putting in with your fish.
    First drop some vinager on it if it fizzies you cant use will mess up PH and all
    Second soak it in a bleach and water solution 2parts bleach 1 part water for 5 or more days
    Third take the bleached rock and boil it for 10-15 mins
    Fourth soak in water and decloranator for 2 days
    after all that it is safe to add to the aquarium given that it passes the Vinager test

17. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

never boil them when I go collecting I take a bottle of PH DOWN with me, it shows good from bad rocks almost instantly. Never boil rather boil water and pour over the rocks in a bucket. never bake them either, small crack with water down in it+ baking= homemade grenade.

I collect all my decor rock from around me with the bottle with me.

18. KingKedros452

KingKedros452 New Member

Depends on your area, your water, and your rock of choice. Luckily with my hard water I can go about Wisconsin collecting slate and sandstone and limestone and use it without problem. All of my aquariums feature WI's best.