1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

questions regarding cycling

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Mar 17, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

New Freshwater Tropical Fish Setup
    Hello! I'm new to this forum, and it seems like a place with a wealth of information that I'm more than ready to tap into.

I've decided to set up a freshwater tropical fish aquarium. I will be adding platys, zebra danois, kuhli loaches, corys (not sure which type), and gouramis (probably honey).

I bought the aquarium set yesterday. I rinsed the grave, put in it the tank, and added water using a dish in the centre. I set up the heater and the filter. The woman in the store gave me some sponge from her tank and told me to squeeze it all out into the water and that would help the bacteria to form. I double checked with other people who told me to put the sponge directly into the filter which I did. This morning I realized that I did not put the water conditioner in the water so I added it, and put more sponge in the filter, making sure it would stay wet.

I was then told that I need to introduce ammonia for the bacteria to feed on, and this could be done by adding food. I've put about 1/2 teaspoon of flakes in the water. Is that enough, or should I add more? What should be my next step? When can I add fish?

Any additional tips would be greatly appreciated.

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: New Freshwater Tropical Fish Setup

Welcome Lovely.

What size tank did you purchase ?

Correct, you'll want to keep that sponge in the water for a few weeks and keep some ammonia in the tank to feed the bacteria. It would actually be easier and cleaner to actually put a drop of ammonia into the tank every few days and not food.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Sorry, I forgot that important bit of information. I got a 30 gallon tank.

Where (what type of store) would I purchase ammonia? Do know what it would cost?
    When can I start adding fish? The woman at the fish store seems to think I could start in a few days. I am planning to start with the platys.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Usually at a hardware store. You'll want to get pure ammonia.

5. James0816

James0816 New Member

Has to be pure ammonia as Anthony mentioned if going that route. If you are using already seeded media, you can add pinches of food if you can't find ammonia.

As for the stocking list...you have one of my favs...kuhli's. You need to add these guys very last since you have a new tank. They need a well established aquarium.

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks, Anthony and James.
    How much ammonia should I be adding?

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I would just do a drop from an eye dropper every 2-3 days. Test your water to make sure your ammonia doesn't go over 1-2ppm. Before you add fish stop adding the ammonia and wait until the ammonia reads 0.