1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

questions regarding hard water with high ph & ro systems

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by GOT MTS?, Feb 7, 2009.

1. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Thread Starter Member

Hard water high PH

I have been reading that there are quite a few people on the forum with hard water issues. So I looked on E-bay and found this RO unite for $87 with free shipping. You could probably find a cheaper one (used or 2 stage).

Also if you have issues with it wasting water (which it does to some degree) you can get a collection tank with an automatic cut off.

I had wanted to get one of these where I used to live because my water was hard and PH was high (not to mention water tasted like S#!+) but my landlord wouldn't let me put it in. I just ended up using lots of co2 to bring my PH down and monitoring it like a hawk, Oh and got a water filter for the taste.

I hope this helps.... If any one knows of a good system at a good price please feel free to post it.....

2. GOT MTS?

Re: Hard water high PH

Ooops for got to ad the link: <a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.com/Clear-Reef-6st-100GPD-Reverse-Osmosis-RO-Water-Filters_W0QQitemZ120373919245QQcmdZViewItemQQptZSmall_Kitchen_Appliances_US?hash=item120373919245&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=66%3A2|65%3A15|39%3A1|240%3A1318" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.com/Clear-Reef-6st-100G ... 240%3A1318</a>

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Looks like a good deal on an RO system- but I'm not so sure I want to be installing a system like this myself. After reading all of the caveats on water pressure and everything else- it makes me realize that I would need the help of an expert on this.
    Does anyone have any experience installing RO systems- is it as difficult as this ebay ad makes it seem?

Plus- there is one other question I have with regards to RO systems. Most professional installs of RO or DI systems I've seen done usually start with a traditional water softener as the first stage of filtration. I've been told that this really reduces the need to replace the membranes of the RO system. Is it okay to put RO water in an aquarium if it has been run through a softener? I know that traditional water softener water is not really recommended for fish- but if it's been treated with an RO system does this negate the problem with the sodium in the water?

Man, all the variables with water- it's enough to make your head spin.

4. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

To throw another one at you, when using RO water you still need to mix it with tap water to balance both ends. If you put pure RO water in your tank there are some issues with that too. You will have to find the percentage of mix that you need for your use as the RO takes the water to the opposite extreme you have now.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, I'm aware of having to mix the RO with the tap water. That is actually a good thing as you won't have to use as much- only you will have to create a consistent mix every time.

6. GOT MTS?

Thanks Lemon discus I forgot to mention that. I guess I kinda figured that people would know not to use straight RO water.