1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

questions regarding how to properly sterilize driftwood

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by California Cowgirl, Jun 25, 2009.

1. California Cowgirl

California Cowgirl Thread Starter New Member

so i've got some driftwood soaking in a bucket of water, someone told me to put the driftwood in a bucket of water until the water stops becoming dirty, then once the water is no longer dirty to put the driftwood in the oven at 300 degrees for an hour. Will this work? i've already seen the difference on some of the driftwood when i empty the tub and put fresh water in.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Baking it will sterilize it>>won't do anything for the tannins it will release. To get rid of them you can do the soak method as you are already doing...But I'd boil it if possible.

3. California Cowgirl

ok so i would do the soaking, then boiling instead of baking?

4. California Cowgirl

also how do i know the difference between hardwood or softwood? to me it's all bark

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Can't help ya on that one. I thought somewhere on the forum there was something about pressing a nail into softwood when wet or something.
    Suggests the search and keyword driftwood ?

6. California Cowgirl

okay there's one piece that's kind of cool looking that i like, but i think it's considered softwood maybe tomorrow when i empty the water i'll take some pictures, although there's nothing really interesting about them but hopefully i'll be able to use them for my frogs and toads

7. California Cowgirl

also i noticed that the topic says how to stearlize lake driftwood. Lol would dried up river driftwood be considered the same thing, haha stupid question i know :p

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

yup, do that...maybe with photos someone can help you decide if its safe to use or not. Sorry, I couldn't be of more help with it. I just know soft wood you can depress (ie fingernail) and hardwood...well...is hard?

9. California Cowgirl

ok i'll post pictures in this thread then tomorrow even though the wood would be wet. I know there is at least piece of hardwood, not sure about the others though

10. California Cowgirl

so here are some picutres of my driftwood. Can anybody tell just from looking at the pictures which of the ones are softwood and hardwood. I think the majority of them are softwood but i can see that some are hardwood and i've also noticed that a couple pieces of hardwood are actually sinking. I've had them soaking for a couple days so far and emptying the bucket every 2 to 3 days.
    001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG 005.JPG 006.JPG

11. KingKedros452

KingKedros452 New Member

For extra large pieces I put them in the tub and pour boiling water over them and scrub away.

I've also found a use for undergravel filter grids. You can attach the driftwood to the plastic ugf grid with zip ties or another creative method you come up with (stainless steel screws work also), then bury the grid in the gravel so all you see is the driftwood.

I have two large softwood pieces that have been leaching tannins (sp?) for 2 years and haven't had any problems with them in the tanks.

12. California Cowgirl

Ok I'll attempt that method. I'll probably try to break some of the pieces in half since I only have 10 gallon tanks but even then I don't think they will fit in our largest pot so I'll probably have to use the bath tub.

13. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Bath tub is mainly the best method for large pieces. You can also try to bake em

14. California Cowgirl

i'll probably end up doing the bath tub, how long do we have to leave them in the tub for?

15. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Could take up to quite some time. Differs per piece

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:13 am
    I'd say until the water runs clear?