1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

questions regarding mold or algae on my driftwood

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Mold Or Algae?

So I've noticed today on my biggest piece of driftwood, a mold like substance. It is spread on various parts of the wood and it looks like hair algae but it's clear.

I don't know if it is the beginning stage of hair or beard algae or if it's some type of mold.

The previous owner of the driftwood used it in his tanks a long time ago, but has since been on his closet.

Either way, I need to know if it's harmful to the fish!

If it's algae I will just let my "clean up crew" do the work, if it's mold, I have no idea what I'll do. It's a HUGE piece that took me a while to get it to stay from floating.

I would take pics but I doubt you could see it because I only have my camera phone.

[help] [odd]

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

It's likely a fungus and isn't harmful to the fish. You can clean it if you'd like or try adding some PimaFix to your tank and see if that helps take care of it.

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

so is it a common wood fungus or aquarium related?

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well, it's not a fungus that would grow on a tree in the woods. I'm not sure what you mean exactly.

5. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

It happens when you add driftwood to your tank sometimes.... its normal... its a fungus that grows on wood in water

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Okay good! I was sort of hoping for beard algae. Idk why but I kind of like the look of it haha. Natural habitats have algae and even gross murky bottoms, so it'd be natural lol!

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Shoot, you want beard algae I have plenty of it

[laughing]

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You still have it Lemon ? I haven't had any show up in my tank for a good 5+ weeks.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I know algae is a problem, but is it okay to have it in the tank? I think my driftwood would look pretty good with it as odd as that sounds haha.