1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

questions regarding sand

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by littledane, Dec 30, 2008.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

2. justonemoretank

justonemoretank New Member

Re: Sand in freshwater

My hubby and I used "Play Sand" in one of our 125's and our 55... You can buy it at hardware stores. It's, like, three bucks for a fifty pound bag. Yeah, extremely cheap, especially when you compare the price with aquarium gravel! If you don't have any fish in the tank at first, it's best, because it does cloud the water for a couple of days. This is the only downside. Other than that, it's cheap, agrees with even the bottom-dwelling fishies, and is a nice sandy color. I also discovered it's awesome for growing live plants.

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

My lfs guy told me a good while back that most play sand has silica/silicate which have been linked to diatoms (brown algae). This supposively can be avoided by thoroughly washing the sand BEFORE placing it in the tank ...in addition to good tank maint. (partial water changes). I've never used the playsand, but I have used poolsand in a cichlid tank (not thinking they would blow the stuff everywhere--ie filter intake)...and I definately would never do it again with anything other than a peaceful specimen. Althought I do love the look of it in the tanks!

justonemoretank did you find that it "disturbed" easily and wound up in the filtration system? I've read on using it and many complain that it doesn't "settle" well. Can you provide your experience with it in this area? Just curious.
    Thanks in Advance.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

wow, play sand? Thats awesome! I'll look into that. What about just the little pebbles? does anyone have theirs set up with that?

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Peagravel (cheap and avail in large bags at Wal-mart in their lawn and garden section for under $5 last time I checked)...Rinse the heck out it though and with anything that causes cloudy water I'd suggest adding Seachem Clarity.

I've used it in the past, but now I'm at the point I only like fine substrate such as CaribSea Sand or the Eco-Complete Planted as food doesn't find it's way to the bottom and you don't have to vac. it forever in order to keep it "clean" looking.

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Re: Sand for Substrate in freshwater (Question)

Thanks guys, you are all very helpful! I decided to go with the pea-gravel, and I am in the process of remodeling. I'll post some pics (if I figure out how) when I get finished!

Update-->Link to photos
    Pea Gravel / Aquarium Substrate

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Be sure to rinse that VERY well...and if you tank should cloud after you've already filled it I HIGHLY recommend using a product such as Seachem Clarity that will bond even the minutest of particles enabling them to be sucked into your filtration system enabling clear water.

I look forward to seeing the picts!

8. James0816

James0816 New Member

I can definately speak on much experience with sand and have had absolutely no problems with it at all. There is definately a lot to know about using and maintaining it. If you want I will go into more details but for now I'll just stick with the basics.

1) RINSE WELL. This has already been mentioned but this point needs to be driven home.
    2) Adding it to the tank. Can be done w/ or w/o fish. Preferrable w/o is always best but can also be done successfully with fish. (FWIW: I have always swapped over to sand from gravel with the fish still at home)
    3) Pre-filters are your friend.
    4) Intake placement. May need to shorten the intake if it is too close to the sand.
    5) Gravel Vac. Can be tricky until you get the hang of it. Then it becomes second nature.
    6) Stirring. As will all substrates it should be stirred up from time to time to prevent gas build up. If you don't mind snails in your tank, MTS (Malaysian Trump Snail) make a very good addition.
    7) Fish. Cories and loaches will absolutely adore you for their new digs. ;o)

That's it in a nutshell. Enjoy!

:cool:

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I guess you didn't catch her above post? She went with pea gravel.

10. James0816

James0816 New Member

I did...just wanted to respond for others in case they see it and get bad impressions. ;o)

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

good idea ;)

12. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Re: Sand (Questions & Advice)

I just wanted to add that sand is especially good for cichlids. I use Play Sand from hardware stores and it's cheap and works really well. I also run my filters during the "cloudy" stage of it and have never had any impeller problems.

The cichlids love to dig in the sand and excavate it

13. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

Sand for Urns

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:11 pm
    i wanna change my 55 to sand for my dempseys. i want black sand but the iron slag stuff and aragonite dont seem like good idea. i found some black silica sand for cigarette urns and such and i was wondering if it would be ok to use in my aquarium or if anyone had suggestions on a black sand to use thats safe for water and for digging

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: Sand for Urns

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 10:14 pm
    The only thing I would worry about is if they treat that stuff with an anti inflammatory chemical.

Have you looked for Black Tahitian Moon Sand ?

15. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:25 am
    nope but i will

16. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:39 am
    Eco-Complete (black dirt) & Tahit. moon by CaribSea as Anthony suggested!

17. James0816

James0816 New Member

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 1:22 pm
    Absolutely!

18. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:16 pm
    i need something with a rounder grain. maybe ill just look for a really fine black gravel

19. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: sand for urns?

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:22 pm
    Eco Complete is basically round, if I remember correctly.

20. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

Re: sand for urns?

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:27 pm
    yeah but its expensive and for plants, which im not trying to grow in the tank. i just wanted a dark substrate to help my little dempseys color up and i know they like to dig so i want a finer grained substrate and i just like how black looks :)