1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

questions regarding sand

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by littledane, Dec 30, 2008.

1. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Re: sand for urns?

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 3:49 pm
    What's wrong with the moon sand

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:09 pm
    Eco-Complete>>I got mine for $20 a bag at bigals a while back with free ship. I know it's for plants, but I like it>>easier to clean than sand and gives the "natural" look.

3. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:47 pm
    well folks thanks for all the suggestions i appreciate it

4. YellowCichlid

YellowCichlid New Member

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:48 pm
    What did you decide on

5. James0816

James0816 New Member

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:58 pm
    Not sure what it is called but I believe the sand that is used for sand blasting comes in a black as well. But...moon sand...good choice. ;o)

6. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:17 pm
    idk yet gonna have to check out the local fish stores and see what i can find

7. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

How Do I Clean My Sand Substrate?

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:13 pm
    i wanted to set up a ten gallon with plants and use sand but i, not sure how you can clean it with out sucking it up. anybody know of a way to keep it clean?

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Re: How Do I Clean My Sand Substrate?

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:17 pm
    Do you have a python to clean gravel ?

9. justonemoretank

justonemoretank New Member

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:07 pm
    Okay, this is my method. I hold the siphon and siphon the top of the sand, and my husband holds a fish net and then I let everything that is in the siphon fall into the net. Sand isn't like gravel, where the fish poo falls into the cracks. It literally just sits on top. So, while you wouldn't want to clean sand like you clean gravel, because, yes, the sand will get sucked into the siphon, by sucking up as much as you can, and then emptying it, you'll be okay. I have a 125 that has sand, and we've had it a year, and haven't noticed that much difference in the amount of sand that we feel we'd need to add more. You get very little sand, and a lot of fish poop, by just "pouring" it out of the siphon and into the gravel. You have to re-start the siphon a few times, but, hey, we keep fish. It's part of the process.

10. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:09 pm
    what kind of sand do you use? when i used play sand for one tank, it was way too light, and i could never clean it without sucking up a percentage of the sand.

but i got a better aquarium sand and it doesnt really lift up high enough in the vac to be sucked out.

also, some people try attaching little sticks to the end of the vac, to stir up the sand to lift out all the dirt

11. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

Posted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:03 pm
    that seems like it would work, but what about algae and all that jazz?

12. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:02 am
    Algae on the sand ?

13. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 New Member

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:16 am
    yup. it grows their right?

14. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:22 am
    It can, yes.

When I had my saltwater tank I cleaned my sand with a DIY python. I pinched the tubing when to prevent sand from being sucked all the way up. It removed debris, algae etc.

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:43 pm
    I've had sand for years, I've found if you skim lightly across the top it gets the job done.

16. James0816

James0816 New Member

Posted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:20 am
    Best method:

Remove the big tube from the gavel vac and just use the hose.
    After starting the syphon, hover the end of the hose just above the sand.
    Presto! Clean sand.

If you move it too close, you will suck up some sand. I hardy pick up any sand now.

As for the algae...mainly black...just stir up the sand bed when you do you maintenance and that should keep things in check.

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:57 pm
    no matter what, you are going to get some sand sucked up. It's okay though. just do your best.

18. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:17 pm
    I use the vacuum and dont put it all the way on the sand... I kind of look to see where the suction pulls up the dirt but only a little bit of sand (of me about a half inch from the bottom).... you will pull up a little sand though... not much

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:26 am
    I used regular play sand from Home Depot, 100 pounds for $7. However, my tap water comes right from the tap with phosphates at 2 so between my water and the play sand......diatoms were terrible!

As far as sand weight, I had zero problems with it and it sunk immediately. However, I also tried Home Depots Quickcrete (Quikcrete?) sand that was pure white, like sugar sand and horrible. I hated it, it showed everything, it got in my filters and in general, a pain in the neck. It didn't take me long to dig it back out. I've heard others talk about play sand being too fine and I don't know if it's the brand name or what's the difference but I didn't find that to be a problem.

I work no harder than I need to so poured my dry sand directly into a tank empty of fish (but still holding water) stirred it up, and did a 100% water change twice. Turned the filters on, tossed my fish back in the tank and it was clear by the next morning.

20. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Re: Sand (Questions & Advice)

Well I thought I would add some advice that I got today regarding sand and possible issues with it.

As anyone who researches the use of sand has read, sand creates anaerobic regions in the substrate that can become poisonous to the fish if not moved around periodically.

In addition to that I was told today that the sand could be the root of my algae growth. Those same anaerobic regions also can hold nutrients that will eventually seep their way into the water column. That buildup will help feed low level "plants" such as algae.

This makes sense and I am working to mix in pea gravel with my sand to try to loosen up my sand a bit for longer periods.

She basically said that if I dont mix the sand daily then I will have problems with those anaerobic regions. My stirring weekly helps the toxins but does not stop the nutrients...

I am going to see if I have a difference after adding the pea gravel and a phosphate remover that I bought. I wont be able to say it was one, the other or both in this experiment but I need to try this to see what happens overall!