1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

questions regarding sand

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by littledane, Dec 30, 2008.

1. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Re: Sand (Questions & Advice)

i've read that if you have a deep sand bed that your not supposed to stir it?
    Your supposed to just lightly graze the top :confused:

2. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

My sand bed is not deep.. :confused:

Its 1" at the deepest.... about 1/4" in other places... depending on where the plants are...

I did get the pea gravel... a whopping $7.10 for 120lbs worth... This should help give me a deeper substrate too because mine is so shallow my rooted plants like the swords have roots growing out of the sand in some spots...

3. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i hate sand PERIOD lol xD

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

<--is in love only with the black sand (tahitian moon or seachem's new one for plants)

Peagravel is defin. a money saver! ...plus the different colors of the rocks always look good :)

5. LemonDiscus

Ok, update on my sand.... its still there... it is now the BASE of the substrate... I took the Pea Gravel and put it on top and then just pushed it into the sand... you dont even see sand in the tank right now....

I may flip the sand to the top in a few areas for looks but I dont know yet... I cant wait to see how this is all going to work! The plants ARE easier to plant in the gravel...

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

with pea gravel, it will just settle back down to the bottom :p

7. LemonDiscus

Yeah I kind of figured... no biggie though! I like the pea gravel better now anyhow! :D

8. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

it should really look good in your tank (river bottom-ie. plants and driftwood)

9. LemonDiscus

Yeah that and also the stones are more white than the sand was making the bottom of the tank brighter... that did 2 things, made my tank look bigger for one. A dark substrate with the black painted back and my dark water made for a real dreary environment to look at....

The other Wild Discus change their color to adapt to the environment they are in... usually they camo themselves to the substrate.. so the darker the substrate the darker the fish will be... the lighter the lighter they will be.. I think this is true as all the wilds got MUCH brighter with the substrate

10. James0816

James0816 New Member

Interesting...never heard the sand as being the root cause for algae. I've had my sand tank up for ages now and no issues with algae. And yes, it does need to get "stirred" up from time to time. This will aid in releasing what may be trapped underneath the top as well as keeps a nice fresh look to it.

11. AngelFishBreeder

AngelFishBreeder New Member

Can i use play sand in my 100G aquarium?

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:24 am
    will it be harmful?

12. LemonDiscus

Re: Can i use play sand in my 100G aquarium?

Posted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 11:05 am
    No its a decent substrate... Pool filter sand works better than play sand though... its not as fine and wont cloud up the water like play sand...