1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

questions regarding the marineland c series canister filters

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Feb 4, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Marineland Canisters C360/C530
    I am looking to invest in my first canister filter. I have been looking for awhile and doing my homework. I really like the idea of the marineland being user friendly and it looks easy enough to operator, as I am super intimidated by canister filters.

I have a 75 gallon aquarium with 2 gold severums, 1 small parrot fish, and 1 rainbow shark and about 12 cory cats ranging from small to large. I know eventually I will be changing things up and not sure what I will be looking to get myself into, possibly angels or discus.

I am not sure if I should just settle for the C360 or go for the gusto and spend the extra and go with the new C530. I have heard the more filtration the better but is the C530 just out of line?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to hearing opinions from others...

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Personally I'd go with the C530. I have the C220 on my 30 gallon long and wish I had spent extra for the C360.

3. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

You can NEVER over filter :) Well, you can make too much current in some situations but you cannot over filter.

I would go up to the C530 if I were you... I circulate my tank 10x per hour and still would not mind adding another filter :)

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Does anyone on the forum have a marineland c series canister. I am starting to read reviews and seems like there are alot of complains.... What is the best canister filter within a reasonable price I could get for my 75 gal?

5. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I would look on ebay for canister filters, you can get them at discounted rates. With that said what are you looking to spend?

7. GOT MTS?

GOT MTS? Member

I did a little looking into canister filters awhile back and the general consensus was that fluvul sucks, marineland was ok, rena was good, and ehiem was great.

I haven't tested all of these so I am only telling you what my conclusion was after a few hours of reading canister filter reviews.

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

That's generally what I've heard as well, in that order. From using the Marineland C220 I would rank it about equal to the Rena's though.

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:07 pm
    I have to say that the fluval 5 series is top of the line.

10. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Posted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:10 pm
    Yeah that model is the exception for Fluval

11. irresistaple_kai

irresistaple_kai New Member

Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:23 am
    I love my C360 and since I got refillable media bags for the carbon portion - I have better control over the flow rate.

12. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Don't like that the marineland doesn't come with a spray bar, HATE my Eheim it filters ok but the output stinks.