1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

questions regarding the possibility of an outdoor aquarium

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by heyfishiesfishies, Mar 25, 2009.

1. heyfishiesfishies

heyfishiesfishies Thread Starter New Member

Patio Fish Tank Without Filter or Heater
    I have an extra 10 gallons laying around and have no more space inside so i'm wondering if i can put it outside on my patio. It will get sun light in the in the afternoon around 4-6pm.. Will the guppies survive outside with plants without filter and heater? I live in Northern CA, city of San Jose. Thanks.

2. James0816

James0816 New Member

Re: Fish Tank On Patio

Heater...maybe. Ambient temp could keep it moderate. Would just have to worry about the evening hours out there I would guess.

Filter...I wouldn't do it. Not having one that is. Even if it is just a small sponge filter that would do the trick.

3. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

Re: Patio Fish Tank Without Filter or Heater (Advice Needed)

No filter would work if you get alot of plants. about 60-70% of the tank filled with it

Here's a thread with some info :)
    <a class="postlink" href="http://theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=1658&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=natural+no+filter" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://theexoticfish.com/viewtopic.php? ... +no+filter</a>

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

They will not be able to survive in the tank when the temp is below 65ish and above 80ish. With a 10 gallon tank the water temp will vary greatly and will not be healthy for the fish.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I tried that once before with a 10 (had heater and filter though and was on my front porch)...fish ended up with ich ((probably a result of flux temps from being outdoor)) and once I went to do a partial when it turned colder the entire tank shattered when I pressed against it. Just my experience, not saying it'll be yours.

6. heyfishiesfishies

heyfishiesfishies Thread Starter New Member

Thanks guys for replying..I just put in some anacharis and a bunch of fairy moss in the tank..I'll wait for a few days to check on the variation of temperature at night and during the day before adding any fish in. I'm thinking of some feeder guppies at first to see if they can survive before introducing my fancy guppies.

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sounds good, I know if you want an easy way to monitor if theirs any fluct. in temp the Tom Oscar brand works great (probe, monitors temp and will recall the highest and lowest temp over time, has clear to easily clear and re-monitor, digital clock, and digital temp reading).