1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

questions regarding the removal of a painted background

Discussion in 'Aquarium Equipment & Decor' started by Anonymous, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Removing Painted Back
    The previous owner to my tank has painted the back of it a light blue, I want to remove the light blue paint and repaint it with black. I am planning on using black latex spray paint when I redo it. Will the fish that are living in the tank now survive in a 100 gallon, and a 50 gallon rubbermaid until I can get the blue removed and black on and dry? Any tips on painting the tank are welcome, along with tips on how to ensure my fish will survive.

2. BobV

BobV Member

I'd fill the rubbermaid tubs with 50/50 mix of fresh and tank water. bring up to temp, and add fish and hang the filter on it. Since the fish will be a bit freaked, I'd loosely lay the lid on the tub so they don't jump out.
    A razor blade should remove the old paint. Then I'd clean it , mask off the areas that don't get paint, and spray away. Another tip is to lay a couple strips of duct tape across the back where the filter will rest. That way, if you move the filter, you don't take a chunk of the paint with it. Instead of plain black, you may consider fleckstone paint. It comes in many colors.
    here's a few pics to give you an idea of what it looks like
    grey
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v420_BV77_Fish071208005.jpg
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v420_BV77_Fish080508009.jpg
    teal
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v420_BV77_Fish111104_A01.jpg
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v420_BV77_Fish111104_A03.jpg
    aimg.photobucket.com_albums_v420_BV77_Fish122504003.jpg
    that should give you some ideas of what it looks like. There are , like I said, many colors available...tans, browns, greys, black with specks of grey and white......worth checking out
    Bob

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Bob, as always the tanks look great! I will definetly look into the fleckstone.

4. SyncereOne

SyncereOne New Member

Man that paint is awesome...I have plain black on my tank. I will also look into it whenever I get the nerve and money for a 125G.

5. BobV

BobV Member

oh, one more thing.....fleckstone is slightly translucent.....so I'd recommend overlaying it with a layer of flat black if there is any light behind the tank.

6. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Also - make sure you clean your glass before you paint - any smear, streak, etc will be much more obvious once you paint because it keeps the paint from settling flat on the glass in those spots.

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks lost!