1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

questions regarding white fungus on driftwood

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by Anonymous, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Hey everyone.

I started setting up my tank a few weeks ago. I found a piece of driftwood outside that looks really awesome and I decided to use it for my tank (which is a 65 custom corner tank).

Not wanting to introduce anything icky in my tank, I first baked it in the oven for about 5 hours and then I soaked in in bleachwater for about 5 days (tied to a brick so that it would stay submerged). Then I rinsed it for about another 5 days or so, changing the water every day. I wondered about soaking it longer, but I wanted there to be some tannins leftover to help soften the water. Our tapwater is very hard. Sometime during the process it started sinking on it's own. I tested it to make sure it didn't feel soft or like it was falling apart, and it appeared as sturdy as anything I can buy in a lfs.

So I added the driftwood about 5 days ago, along with some live plants (anubias, java fern, java moss). The plants came from a friend who has had her tank up and running for nearly 5 years and has no problems with illness or snails. The plants seem to be doing well, but now there is a white fungus on the driftwood. I swear it popped up during the day today. It almost looks like a semi-transparent gel, rather than little balls or pods. It looks a lot like the fungus turtles can get on them when they aren't cared for correctly. I tried taking photos but they weren't clear enough to show you what's going on.

After googling for a while, I came across some posts on other forums where people said everything from "It will go away on it's own" to "get rid of the driftwood ASAP" to "Ottos will eat it". I just want what's best for my tank, but I'm not sure which way to go. I can wait it out, or I can treat it with something (provided it's plant-safe) or I can even ditch the driftwood (although it would be a huge bummer).

Some other facts about my tank are: I added laterite for the plants. I have a little over 2 watts per gallon lighting. My filter is an Eheim 2213 canister with peat, EHFIMECH, EHFISUBSTRAT, and carbon. I have no fish in the tank, but I do have three swordtails in a quarantine tank who have columnaris, so they can't go in for a while anyways. The temp is about 79F.

Thanks for reading. :)

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Well I wouldn't suggest getting rid of the driftwood. I've never personally had a fungus on driftwood but it does happen. You may just need to remove it and boil it if possible. Adding PimaFix may help as well since it's an anti fungal "med".

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Thank you Anthony.

Will PimaFix harm my plants or necessitate a delay in stocking the tank with fish?

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Agreed, have heard of others that experience this with driftwood (though I never have).
    Ps, the PimaFix will not harm the plants or delay the stocking.