1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Quick Betta Question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Elapid, Feb 21, 2013.

1. Elapid

Elapid Thread Starter New Member

I bought a red Betta male for my then under 2 year old grand daughter who was visiting us one summer. The fish was left with us after the visit and we didn't think it would last long in the small bowl it was in. It's now 2.5 years later and that fish is still vigorous and thriving! At the time of purchase the fish was fully finned and brilliant red. He's grown longer finnage and his color is not as bright but there are no signs he's giving up the ghost soon. I know nothing about these fish and I'm wondering how long these guys live? My grand daughter has been back to visit twice since Shi-Shi the red fish came to live with us and now expects her fish will always be here. Thanks, Elapid

2. Aquaman_95

Aquaman_95 Moderator

Bettas are wonderful beginner fish, and wonderful fish in general with numerous finage types, and varieties. Generally speaking, bettas live 2-4 years.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Elapid

Thanks Aquaman. YES on the beginner fish. This guy lives in a little 2 pint bowl that sits on a self in summer and on top of a heated Japanese tea water dispenser in winter, weekly water change from the tap (untreated well water) and has had nothing but the tiny betta pellets to eat and not much of that. He has never been sick or diseased or refused food; he's very curious, aggressivly flares and displays with gorgeous finnage. I paid a couple bucks for him and his food cost is negligible ... Is there a better beginner fish? Elapid

4. Aquaman_95

Aquaman_95 Moderator

The way you describe him, makes him sound gorgeous - I'd love to see pictures of him!

There isn't a beginner fish; there are several species of beginner fish, if we're referring to the same thing.

5. Elapid

I'll see about how to post a photo and do so. Elapid

6. Aquaman_95

Aquaman_95 Moderator

Okay, just let us know!