1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Quick cycling?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by FishVixen, Feb 12, 2010.

1. FishVixen

FishVixen Thread Starter Active Member

my 29 gal has been cycling for less than 3 weeks. Ammonia spiked, Nitrites spiked Tonight readings Ammonia 0, Nitrites 0, Nitrates <3. used gravel from an established tank and an old filter with ( I know I used fish) 6 red eyed tetras. My question is can a tank actually cycle in 2 1/2 weeks or is it my test kit. But everything spiked and fell quickly. 2 live sword plant about 6" each. Followed a typical cycling pattern though. You have to please excuse me this is my 1st tank in 30 years alot has changed.

2. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Seeing that you used established media as well as an established filter it is very well possible, I would suggest keeping an eye on the parms for at least another week just to make sure :)

3. FishVixen

Well it's Sunday and parameters still the same. So far so good. Thanks everyone for giving of your knowledge so freely. It helped a newbie.

4. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i would sugest taking out the filter media and cleaning in the tank so benificail bacteria spreads faster

5. FishVixen

Thanks will do.