1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Quick Question about Oscars

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by mirandaf, Jan 24, 2011.

1. mirandaf

mirandaf Thread Starter New Member

I know nothing about Oscars but have been reading through the forums and googling a bunch. My parents bought a tank full of guppies and they went to a couple of different LFS looking for some angels to help keep the fry population under control. Everyone was sold out of angels but someone recommended an Oscar. Remind me to rant on this later as this is a planted tank and my parent's long term goal is to keep livebearers. Sure the Oscar will take care of the guppies but they are going to have to rehome him at some point so he doesn't eat all the adults as well.

Okay, so my question is this...can an Oscar overeat?? Thinking of that pic of Anthony's poor fish. There are hundreds of guppies in this 55 gallon tank right now and from what my parent's are telling me he is having a feast.
    Dad's Tank.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

With my experience of oscars their gonna rip that pretty tank apart!
    I'd be RUNNING them back to the lfs.

3. mirandaf

mirandaf Thread Starter New Member

I suggested they take him back after I started reading up a little bit on them. Still pushing for it. He has only been in there one day so far.

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

I agree. I wouldn't put an Oscar in there, even without the guppies.

5. FishVixen

FishVixen Active Member

In 4 days there will be no guppies left. Oscars will eat if food is in front of them (meaning guppies) When the population is down he is going to reek havoc in that tank and not one plant will be left. In a 55 he will grow quickly. Get them to start culling the fry not adding a fish to eat them. (possibly a second tank with fish that will eat the selected fry.) The stress of having the oscar in the tank could also bring on a severe case of ich so watch for any signs of it.