1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Red Belly Piranha or Silver Dollar?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Red Belly Piranha or Silver Dollar?

I picked up 3 of these guys for free on Craigslist. One for sure is a silver dollar but these two kinda look like red belly piranhas. What do you guys think?
    P1050181.JPG P1050187.JPG

2. reefmanwannabe

reefmanwannabe New Member

The coloration looks like a Piranha to me but the eyes and mouth looks similar to a Pacu . On the Piranha the mouth is usually a little more elongated and on the Pacu its more rounded like on yours .

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I agree with reef on that one. Doesn't have the mouth shape of a piranha...Does look similar to a pacu.

4. reefmanwannabe

Oh and by the way if it is a Pacu (and I strongly think it is) it will get HUGE . I had one 15 years ago that I got at about 3" or so and it grew into a 27" monster before I lost it .And thats not even their max size . Theres a zoo in Tampa that has a tank full of them and they are roughly 3 feet long . As mine got bigger (over 12" ) he/she wouldn't tolerate any other fish in with it , not even a clown knife that was larger then it was , it killed everything else in the tank other then the knife (but it sure tried to),was to flat to bite. It killed a Florida gar ,a wolf fish ,a large fire eel and a few others but forget what they all were . so just giving you a heads up .

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lol! Yea...they get to be bigguns! They have them at my local zoo/aquarium and theirs are beasty!

6. reefmanwannabe

I always wanted to get an above ground pool , a couple thousand gallons and make it into a huge pond/tank and get more of them . They are amazing , i used to actually be able to pet the one I had and could hand feed it . That fish had a better personality then my dog does . lol It actually would turn so I could scratch it sides , needles to say I stayed far away from the bitting end of it , pet fish or not , I'm not THAT stupid . lol As long as I had something between my fisgers and its teeth I wasn't too over worried , guess it wanted the friut more then me .But I still wasn't taking a chance , those are big teeth and strong jaws .

7. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Will be setting up my 125 when I move so they should be ok in there or should I just try to get rid of them now?

8. reefmanwannabe

It'll take a few years to get that big , BUT when they do your most likely going to have a hard time getting rid of them then . Not many petstore wont something thats 2 feet long with an attitude ,not to mention if they have a tank big enough for them . And even if you have a zoo/aquarium near you they usually don't want them either because you'll be the 154,965th person that went there with the same problem .
    Now if you really want to keep them I say keep them just remember , there most likely going to be living alone and you'll have a few years to figure something out when the time comes . Out of all the different fish I've had they had the most personality and you wont be sorry you kept them .

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I really dont want a huge tank with just two fish. think its time for them to find a new home.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ad them on craiglist (won't cost ya a thing to advertise them...and if you want you can ask a rehoming fee).

11. James0816

James0816 New Member

They are silver dollars.

12. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

umm ok? So what's the difference?

13. James0816

James0816 New Member

difference between silver dollars or pacu/piranha?

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Sorry, I meant how can you tell the difference. They look like pacus or piranhas.

15. James0816

James0816 New Member

ah....gotcha. for me it is the dorsal fin.

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

ok so whats the difference?

17. James0816

James0816 New Member

I'm not really sure how I would describe it. About the best I could say is that the dorsal for the silver dollars are not as "full" and more angled. Does that make sense? Let me see if I can find some pics for comparison.

18. James0816

James0816 New Member

19. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

yup their pacus like said b4 piriahnahs have their jaw like more of a V ahape

20. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

james said they're silver dollars.