1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Remodeled 55 Gallon - Amazon Biotope

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Decided to remodel one of my 55 gallon tanks into an Amazon Biotope. It was my first attempt at creating a biotope so I hope it turns out well. So far the stock list is:

- 2 Amazon Swords
    - Clump of Green Cabomba

- 4 Neon Tetras
    - 1 Oto Catfish
    - 1 Green Corydora

Tomorrow I am getting 2 juvenile discus. The father is a Malboro Red and the mother is a Santarem. I hope they turn out beautifully.

Also, Dawn: I was told that the amazons had baby sprouts on them. So, I've included a pic of what they are. If I want to let them grow on their own, how would I go about clipping them and burying them? Do I just cut them under their leaves? I have no green thumb so any advice would be great!

And one last though: I know discus, corys, and tetras are schooling fish so I will be adding other mates soon.

Tell me what you guys think of the tank. And please be gentle haha :)

.: Note. The tank is cloudy from the disturbances today, so overlook that. :.

View attachment ac2.ac_images.myspacecdn.com_images02_76_l_d2ad926de88b4847912adc27962c1c1d.jpg

View attachment ac2.ac_images.myspacecdn.com_images02_94_l_52fef32dea9c4322858b71f492ddf411.jpg

View attachment ac1.ac_images.myspacecdn.com_images02_86_l_40cabcf7c1fb4365a28b031c73bc2e28.jpg

2. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i think you need more fishes XD [rofl] [dancing]

3. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

HAHA! We're on the same page!

I am eventually going to have:

10 Neon Tetra
    6 Green Corydoras
    3 Oto Catfish
    2 Rubberlipped Pleco
    6 Silver Hatchetfish
    4 Discus

I would like to find some Amazonian invertebrates but I do not know any as of yet. :help:

I may also ad German Blue Rams once the tank has been set up for a bit longer.

Oh and of course MORE PLANTS! This is my first attempt at a planted tanks so I am taking my time with them.

Any other AMAZONIAN fish or interts that would go well with the other fish I have mentioned would be good to hear about. I am going for a biotope so only fish found in the amazon would be present.

4. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i personally dont put discus with plecos because some tend to suck the slime coat off them and kill them but if you want its like 60% you pleco would do that + the discus has to piss him off lol

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Do bristlenoses! Way neater (at least the males are)...they get 4" and are extremely peaceful and great in community tanks :)

6. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i have a couple (not albino) bristle nose they are bigger then 4" not maybe they can me madusa's maybe one day ill take some pics od my monster plecos XD

7. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have brown, albino, and a combo of the two. I didn't like them at first, but they kinda grow on you...I really like the males with all the bristleys everywhere! Lol!

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I went with the rubberlipped because I know they stay around 4" and tend to hide a lot more than anything else.

What is the maximum size of the bristlenose and what is the price range for them? Regular, not albino of course. I think albino fish take away from the natural effect of the aquarium.

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

maximum size should be 4" yea i think albinos kill the natural effect to but then again some albinos do survive in nature.

10. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

wow that sounded so wrong in so many ways [3ofus]

11. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Nice! I'll have to get one then. I don't have any "caves" for them as of yet though. The one rubberlipped just hides on part of the filter haha.

It would be awesome if I could get a breeder pair!

12. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

yea their eggs look like caviar but different color lol just wanted to point that out :confused: :confused:

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Any way to tell male from female? That way I can get the best luck at breeding haha

14. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

well most likely they would breed but it would be good to keep a ratio of 1 male: 3 females and if breeding age males have bristles females dont

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

males have lots of bristles (completely ignoring steven) and the females don't or may have a few extremely short "stubs" on the bristlenoses. They max they reach is 4" and are completely harmless. They need wood (driftwood/cholla) to rasp on and when theirs no algae I supplement mine with Hikari Algae wafers and french cut green beans & will soon be adding blanched zuch.

Hideout can be as simple as a coconut shell that has been hollowed (can buy them at petstore also for like $2.00 or at bigals for $.98).

I know at my lfs the babies go for $10.00 and the 2"+ ones go for $15 and up depending on color. You can find them cheaper on Ebay & Aquabid though.
    I'll be offering some of mine on the forum shortly once the weather gets a touch warmer and my shipping supplies come in from kens (Kordon bags, etc).

Ps. For the swords I'm not sure...as in the pm I told you mine just started sprouting "babies" , but they arrived basically dead so I can't complain on the delay. Ask Anthony on that one..he has tons of sword plant "babies" sprouting from his mother plants!

16. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i got a local breeder around here i can get for like 2$ a pop and cherry shrimps 20 for 15$

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Lucky you! I can get the cherry shrimp for a buck a piece and I'm happy with that. Ugh!
    I got my bristlenoses off an ebay auction, then through keeping in touch with the breeder I've managed to get more at a semi-fair price I guess (at least his prices are better than my lfs).

18. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol look for local breeders on craigslist

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have, I don't have any in my area. I tried getting guppies in my area and they were crappy...so ended up being a waste of my time!

20. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

well i live in the city were its all buiessness people and i can find them maybe go to fish meetings around there or look around on craigslist or put up a WTB ad lol