1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Remodeled 55 Gallon - Amazon Biotope

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Apr 13, 2009.

1. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Well they look ALMOST exactly like Neons... the red goes head to tail though....

2. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

So this may be a lame question, but are neons a hybrid of some sort or? If they don't have the same requirements as the cardinals and they look almost identical minus the stripe, which is the difference?

3. LemonDiscus

Its not the blue stripe... its the red belly....

No, 2 different fish...... Cardinals are quite spectacular even compared to Neons....

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Okay, I just did my research and the jumbo neon's are still from the amazon clear water but just as you said, the max temperature recommended was 74 degrees. I hope they do okay being at 82 degrees.

I'd love to get them to breed so that there are tons of them in the tank, but they eat their eggs :sad:

5. LemonDiscus

Yeah.... they may do fine.... that 74 degrees is pretty low! I think they will do at 82...

the bad thing is those discus need to be over 85 in a little bit.... the neons may not be able to take that.... Or if the Discus get sick, you will need to go over 86 degrees which will kill the Neons.... That was more what I was meaning...

They may live though.... let me know what happens at the higher temps when you get them up there...

6. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

peacock bass love 84-86 maybe you should throw a couple in there :evil:

7. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i could get WC jumbo cardianls for 1$ each with a min order of 50. [dancing] [dancing]

8. LemonDiscus

Not bad.... I would do that!

9. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

if my discus are about 2.5" now, what size will they need to be taken up to 86 degrees?

I'd rather not lose any fish, but if need be I'd rather it be 6 neons than my discus! haha.

10. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

dude you serious i can also get 20 small neons at a lfs for 5$.... lol bumping the temp to 86 is not neccassary but it just helps prevent some diseases

11. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

me to but tanks currently acupied with mosters [cussing]

12. LemonDiscus

I like the 86+ myself because, Ich, Velvet and a few other illnesses will NOT get in your tank at those temps.

I HAVE to keep mine up high because of the Wilds..... but Stevens right for the most part.... If you take it up that high and loose them, your not out that much cash....

I would get the temp up (if it were me) now.... slowly over the next week or 2....

13. LemonDiscus

Yeah... makes for expensive food for that price and Cardinals will NEVER breed :confused:

14. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

yeah that's a good deal, although 50 would be a lot in my tank haha.

And where do you live? haha. Jumbo Neons here are $1.99/each :(

15. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

the bay area if 50 is to much in your tank its time for a upgrade lol

16. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

haha. it's a 55 gallon so I could house them but I don't want to have to find my discus in a sea of cardinal tetra! LOL

17. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i would do that i have like 5 55 gallons and 2 110 and a lot more ;)

18. LemonDiscus

Oh but you really do! You just dont know :)

I would do 100+ Cardinals in my 125!

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Haha $400 for 100 small fish.. I'd rather just buy a bigger tank and to hell with the tetras! Haha.

IF my neons do make it through the heat, I will add more. Just over time grow a nice shoal of maybe 15-20 or so.

One of my neons are missing the clear part of its tail! It just stops at the red line. He seems like he is fine and is still eating, but doesn't swim quite like he should.

20. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

well neons sooner or later are gonna be deforemed from inter breeding.... [cussing] [cussing]