1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Remodeled 55 Gallon - Amazon Biotope

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums & Fish Photos' started by Anonymous, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

yeah. when I buy fish that are for schools I buy them from different stores. Like 2 here and 2 there and so on. I never buy the whole school from the same tank/store at the same time.

I try to prevent it as much as possible

2. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

So, I was thinking about how adding dead leaves to the substrate to recreate a natural river scene would look.

You can't really notice them from far away so I took close ups. Let me know what you think! I was a guinea pig trying this out haha.

View attachment ac4.ac_images.myspacecdn.com_images02_87_l_176e75c537fe4c6ca8d59ee1d3f887b3.jpg
    View attachment ac4.ac_images.myspacecdn.com_images02_108_l_edc3790e47374bd98236140a7ccd0b17.jpg

I know it's only 3 leaves to start, but I just wanted to see what it looked like and what you guys thought! :cool:

3. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

nice i love the leaves but wont they rot away in time?

4. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Yeah, but it does a little bit and once they start molding I will just replace them with new dead ones.

5. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

to much work for me and because from introducing paricites etc

6. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Google using leaves in aquariums, the pros out weigh the cons by far ;)

7. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

lol theirs pros?

8. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Leaves are good for soft water fish and contain natural anti-bacterial and anti-fungal organic compounds. They can also help lower PH. And they can help induce breeding in hard-to-breed fish.

9. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i think those are almond leaves not just and kind.....

10. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Almond leaves and oak leaves are close to the same. You can't go out and just grab a dogwood or maple leaf and drop it in haha.

Almond and Oak can be used in aquariums.

11. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

12. Guidoman888

Guidoman888 New Member

I never knew :eek: I always thought they'd cause bad bacteria to grow. Stupid me [odd]

13. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

I just learned how goo they were too haha, must've been an ancient chinese secret!

14. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member

i knew but i have no need for them and to lazy to order from aquabid.com

15. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Just a few updates on this tank.

I moved last week to a new apartment (4th floor so that was fun moving fish tanks) and I got a few new additions I wanted to tell you guys about.

This tank originally was to become an amazon biotope. And although, in my opinion it looks like what the amazon looks like as far as decorations, I do have a few non-amazon fish just to add to the spice of the tank.

I add 3 Harlequin Rasbora the other day. They fit in quite well. Although they are from Asia, I still think they blend well with the amazon feel.

Yesterday I added a Black Skirt Tetra to my amazon tank and the woman said it would be fine with my other tank mates yet it kept chasing my discus around! After about 15 minutes of non stop chasing, I scooped him and returned him for a female yellow lab for my male yellow lab in another tank.

I am getting another 55 gallon that has a canopy and from the looks of the picture, t5 lighting. It is a gift from a cousin of mine who's wife bought it and never set it up. I've never even met him (my cousin) and he is giving me a brand new tank, stand, canopy, lights, everything :). So, I am selling the central american 55 gallon since it's an older style tank and doesn't have a hood and moving my central americans into there.

I also have a 10 gallon and a 29 gallon bowfront as holding tanks for me central americans and yellow lab pair. I'll be setting them up with permanent stock soon and I'll let you guys know what goes in.

16. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Thanks for the update! It sometimes is hard to find good tankmates for Discus... :confused:

17. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

Ryan, have you had any luck with Richmond Aquarium?

I went in there yesterday and they seem to have a pretty decent collection of salt related and an alright amount of freshwater related.

Thats where I got my yellow lab. And they have banjo catfish and african leaf fish and butterfly fish! A lot of rare ones. They also have a huge 2000 g saltwater tank, it's crazy! Anyway, I live about 4 minutes from them so I'll be visiting there often. They do have 2 blue discus but they're in quarantine bc they were brought in from a previous owner sick. They're at $80/each once they get better.

18. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

Never been there.... I live near the West End so it is a bit away.... I regular to Fin and Feather

BTW you may have some interest in my project I am doing... the link in my signature...

19. Anonymous

Top Poster Of Month

20. stevenrox

stevenrox New Member