1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

rotala rotundifolia

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants & Planted Tanks' started by kwheeler91, Aug 13, 2009.

1. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 Thread Starter New Member

will i be able to achieve the redness or at least some of it of rotala rotundifolia with 108 watts of t5 ho 6700k over a 55gal? i use diy co2 and root tabs but soon will have better substrate combined with flourish tabs. basically i want to know if i have enough light to turn at least the upper portion of the plant red.

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Honestly, I wouldn't think so being it's a high light plant and you have just under 2wpg.

If your really set on it...try a single bunch and see how they do before Highly planting with them ;)

3. James0816

James0816 New Member

You should be fine being that you have T5HO bulbs. You may need to add additional Iron to your dosing as you are only using root tabs. I would look to add a more inclusive fert dosing however.

4. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

i still say I'd only get a bunch and see how they do before spending alot of money on plants and ferts..the bulb changeover will be costly too!
    My lfs is getting $28.00 a bulb for their t5's.

5. kwheeler91

ok thank you

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

your welcome!
    ~Good luck :)

7. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Whether they are T5's or just normal Florescent bulbs shouldn't make a difference. The WPG still comes out to under 2 as Dawn stated.

8. kwheeler91

well its a hagen glo that has a really nice reflector and they are supposed to put off more light than a normal set up because of the design or somethin like that... idk what im talking about really im no expert and have only recently gotten into plants, but the are supposed to be better at getting all the light to the plants.

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

reflectors do help, but still not enough wpg if you ask me.
    But go ahead and give it a whirl, you may get lucky.

10. kwheeler91

ill see how my ludwigia repens does with the redness and then go from there. i can always put my 15 watts back on too right over the plants to give it a little extra boost because i only want a nice bunch on one side of the tank. if it all flops in my face i guess ill have to save more money for more light :)

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

keep me posted on how it goes!

12. James0816

James0816 New Member

ouch...sounds like it's time to go to Lowe's or HD.

Keep in mind here with the HOs...the lumen factor comes in to play. If I'm not mistaken (might be) but I believe the 54w HO bulbs come in the ball park of 5k lumens. A dual bulb setup will put 10k lumens. You'll have a better spectrum.

13. kwheeler91

they are the life glo bulbs 6700k. so is 10k lumens good for a 55? i wam trying to find a 5000-5500k bulb as well to hit both ends of the spectrum.

14. James0816

James0816 New Member

Stay with 67k. Don't go any lower.

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

my local hardware stores don't carry the size/wattage I need.

I'm using Giesemann bulbs from here--> <a class="postlink" href="http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Fluorescent/Bulbs/54_Watt/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.reefgeek.com/lighting/T5_Flu ... s/54_Watt/</a>