1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Rummy-Nose Tetras Dying (Unsure of Cause)

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by drazzill, Mar 13, 2009.

1. drazzill

drazzill Thread Starter New Member

not sure what's up with the rummies , i bought two less than a week ago to add to the other three i had, those two dies within 2 days, they looked healty when i purchased them, noe i lost one of my olders one an another one is looking bad. it looks like from mid section to tail is colorless and lost color on it's tail, my ph is7.4 nor ammonia or nitrite present hardness is 5 , no other test kits, what might it be?

2. James0816

James0816 New Member

Re: rummy noses dying

How long has your tank been setup? Temp? NitrAtes?

3. drazzill

months, temps at 78, looking on the web i think it might be this according to a pic i saw

Bacterial External Infections, Columnaris (specific to F. columnaris); Often Misnamed "Mouth Fungus", Fish Tuberculosis/TB Skin Infection (specific to Mycobacterium spp.)

so i don't see any signs in the neons

earlier in the week i took water to my lfs and nitrates and phosphates were low below .25 if i remember correctly, as i said those are the only test kits i have for no

maybe it's this Bacterial Fin Rot picture looks close but maybe not as servere in pic

4. James0816

James0816 New Member

Do you notice any "fuzzy" looking patches or any other body abnormalities other than color loss?

May need to move this over to the Disease section. Not my strong point unfortunately but we'll try and help ya out.

5. SyncereOne

SyncereOne New Member

Need more info...nitrates....the pet store that tested your water use strips, or the liquid tests? What kind of treatment are you using with water changes?

6. drazzill

drops not strips, and i don't use and treatment for water changes, pure ro water no 6.0 and 0kh and 0 gh , and roughly 30 % every week, wouldn't say any fuzzies looks whiteish tho

7. James0816

James0816 New Member

Is it possible to get any pics?

8. drazzill

tries camera sucks mucho, sorry , pics come out way to grainy

9. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I have rummy noses (sensitive to change). I remember when I got them at the pet store a few died just from being stressed from netting.

Losing color, I'd say somethings really wrong there. Sounds like extreme stress of some sort.

With the ro water you should be good there. Test results are good so not thinking water parameters are your issue.

Without a photo I'm not sure what to advise other than doing another test on the water & making sure your equipment is running properly (ie. heat not fluctuating) & keep up with water changes (Might want to do a 50% for the next 2 days and see if theirs improvement).

What do you have in with them?

Might have just got a poor batch from the lfs (have you gone back to where you've purchased them to see how the remainders are doing)?

10. drazzill

that is what i'm thinking(lfs)everything was fine til i add the 2 new ones, i have them with some neons which aren't showing any signs yet,<---- keeping fingers crossed

11. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

have you called/been back there to see how the remaining ones are doing?
    Most lfs carry a "warranty/guarantee" in the case of loses.

I know they aren't a cheaper fish like some that you can get for $1.00 or so.
    I think I paid $7 for mine.

Water Quality is supposed to be a big deal for them-although I didn't lose any with the nitrate issue I was/am having (80ppm).

12. drazzill

i'm going to take a drive over there and check out theirs, i think i paid 3.99 or so for them

13. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Wow, good deal! Ashame they weren't good quality.

14. drazzill

the first 3 i bought did great til i added the other two, :( had the first ones for 4 weeks atleast

15. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

hmm..that's defin odd (if they were all from the same tank/batch)

16. drazzill

no the first ones i bought were from a "sister store", so maybe the other store had issues, they are kept in an online system, the first ones i first bought had their own filter system, which is for better less disease transmission

17. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

ah, makes more sense why some did well and some didn't. thank you for clarifying.

18. drazzill

well went to the lfs where i bought my last batch of rummies, and theirs looked fine , unless they pulled the dead ones out in the morning, talked with one of their guru's adn bought the dying one to them and we came to the conclusion it was fit rot , so dosing with tetracycline,prolly going to lose the sick one but maybe stop the others from getting it

19. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Sorry to hear that.
    Not sure how it could be fin rot? Didn't/Doesn't sound like it to me.
    I Think your lfs guy is covering his butt. Did he test your water?
    We're the fins torn away/eroded/jagged?
    Any White fuzzy growths?
    Any appearance of inflamation/redness/sores?

20. drazzill

yes no tail fins and redness near the gills,and my water checked out good, dosing with tetracycline