1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Salt treatment

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases & Cures' started by dye2fish, Sep 24, 2009.

1. dye2fish

dye2fish Thread Starter New Member

I have read something about raising the tank temperature and adding aquarium salt what is the correct combo for that and how long. Fish are dying daily and some have soars and some have eye cloud. Hope this will work, any help will be grateful

2. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Please be sure to include all of the following.

pH
    Ammonia Level
    Nitrite Level
    Nitrate Level
    Water Temperature
    Tank Size
    How Often You Do Water Changes And What Percent You Change
    How Long Has The Tank Been Running

3. dye2fish

Tank is 180 gallon been running for 10 months change 40 gallons every month try keeping temp at 70 at all times

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

We still need to know all your water parameters. Also, changing 40% once a month isn't good IMO. I would suggest changing about that much weekly.

5. dye2fish

I checked my parameters last night and ph and everything was normal except the ammonia it was crazy high an 8. I changed 40 gallons and added some more salt. Is it easier to just use chemicals or will the salt and temp. rise work.

6. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

are you adding a dechlorinator BEFORE the addition of fresh water and treating for the entire volume of the tank and NOT just the amount of water your replacing. Tank could be going through mini-cycles....and the high Ammonia is more than likely what's doing your fish in (ammonia poisoning).

Poor Water Quality....Look over this here for what to do-->
    Aquarium Problems & Fish Illness Symptom & Solution Chart

And definately don't add any additional fish to the tank & be sure to keep feedings on the lean/skimpy side.