1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Screwing up completely(50? gallon)

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by chickadedede, Jul 11, 2011.

1. chickadedede

chickadedede Thread Starter New Member

I was worried about how the fish would manage after having the gravel torn up, but I'm seeing a few clusters of eggs around the tank. They're too big for snails, so I'm pretty sure it's the cory cats. They're whitish though, so I guess I'm not getting any babies. Still, I'm pretty happy.

2. chickadedede

Okay, I was expecting the other fish to eat the eggs, I was NOT expecting to see the pleco do it.

3. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

tank looks good.

4. chickadedede

Thanks! I still have a long way to go before I'll be happy with it.

5. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

Pleco's LOVE eggs. Ive lost a ton of em to pleco's however if the parents are good parents the eggs will survive, Ive got 5 plecos in my 75g and recently had a pair of angels I planned to spawn actually spawn on their own and the eggs got less then 24 hours to go till they start wiggling.
    The more plants and wood you have(you NEED wood with a pleco like you need water for em) the better chance you have at successful spawns. I DO NOT change my water when eggs are in the tank(I dont have the option in my 210 due to the discus, they need the clean water a few times a week so their eggs never make it but would if I left em without fresh water which I cant do) I just simply add water to them. Im not sure what fish you are keeping but water temp and choice of food have ALOT to do with a spawn.

Id say get some more plants and wood and you will have better luck in the future.

6. chickadedede

I never would have guessed that the cories would spawn OR that plecos love eggs. I'm kind of on uncharted waters here.

I got a few more plants, I'll post pictures later once I get my NEW DRIFTWOOD in. The piece was a bit smaller than I thought it would be, but whatever. The real problem is with the light fixture- some of the pieces needed to attach the leg mounts are missing. I think the product had been returned previously, there wasn't film over the clear acrylic slide out thing. I'm going to look for the stuff for the leg mounts again and then probably return the product.

Don't worry about the pleco, she's had a piece of cholla in there for awhile now.

I suspect the cories may have spawned due to the water change I did when I replaced the gravel. I tried to keep the water as close to the tank temperature as I could, but it may have been a degree or two off from what it had been. They spawned a few days after that.

Also the fourite is starting to mix with the eco complete. I haven't had fish that were big enough to move the gravel before, so this was a surprise.
    SO FRUSTRATED OVER THE FIXTURE. I really didn't want to have to send it back.

7. WhiteGloveAquatics

WhiteGloveAquatics New Member

I can guarantee you now you will never have cory fry in that tank. My cories spawn all the time but only the ones in by themselves (3m,2f) hatch once the adults are removed and current and O2 are added to the tank.

1 piece of cholla isnt enough.

8. chickadedede

I could have sworn I wrote a reply to this. Oh well, whatever.

The cholla was supposed to be a temporary solution until I could replace the driftwood I accidentally bleached a few months ago. I was out of money after I bought that piece and didn't have a steady paycheck until recently, which also went away recently. I thought the cholla would be fine and that the other driftwood was mostly for cover and decoration. That's still not an excuse for not taking care of things properly.

I got some driftwood with the light fixture and then some more at the new LFS in town. The tank looks much better already. I'll post pics later.

Thanks for the advice! I'm learning a lot.

9. chickadedede

I think one of the eggs must have survived because there's a baby something in the (not pictured) grassy patch. I'm going to add more cover for it.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

Well finding one is good news, maybe there's more as you'd be amazed where they can squeeze to hide.

11. Haley Wolter

Haley Wolter New Member

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! :oops: ai210.photobucket.com_albums_bb95_tonytheboss1_IMG_0027.jpg