1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

scuds anyone?

Discussion in 'Freshwater General Discussion' started by kwheeler91, Jul 17, 2009.

1. kwheeler91

kwheeler91 Thread Starter New Member

has anyone raised scuds that could give me some tips on how to care for them? i was going to put them in a ten but i want to use it to breed cpd's and thought maybe i could just keep the scuds in a bucket or something. ive seen sites say they dont like clean water and ones that say they will die without it. any info on their care and conditions such as filtration, temperature, etc is what i am looking to find. thank you :)

2. jmart.cooper

jmart.cooper New Member

I dont really know how you would go about it, but I want to know also. I will be sure to check up on this and see what everyone else has to say.

3. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

came across this artical and thought you might be interested in it. i think you could apply some of this and set them up in a tank rather than a bucket as described in the artical.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Gammarus, Scuds

Gammarus, also known as Scuds, is a shrimp-like crustacean. It is an easy to culture live food that is an excellent size for many larger tropical fish. Even adult guppies can eat scuds. Cichlids and many killifish love them.
    Size: This crustacean reaches about 1cm (0.4 in.).

Description: This shrimp-like, freshwater crustacean lives on decaying plants and detritus also eating algae and other microorganisms. It is gray to green in color.
    Environment: This species survives happily in aquarium quality water. It can tolerate temperatures as low as 0°C (32°F) and high as 35°C (95°F) but prefers temperatures ranging from 20-30°C (68-86°F). pH is not important. Culture containers (the author prefers 32 gallon plastic trash cans, preferably yellow or white colored) should be aerated and provided a good food source, such as plant cuttings or tree leaves.

Geographic Range: Various species in North America, Europe and Asia.
    Uses: This live food species is an excellent live food for most large tropical fish. It has the advantage of surviving aquarium conditions indefinitely so that it can be fed in abundance without fear of water fouling (do not, however, feed too many without adequate aeration since this organism will compete with fish for oxygen).

Culture: Culturing scuds is simple in any container that can hold water. The author uses plastic garbage cans. Culture instructions follow:
    1) Fill a plastic garbage can or an aquarium with aged water. Place about 5cm (2 inches) of dried leaves. Most tree leaves are good, but you should avoid oak leaves. Dried mulberry leaves are excellent. Place the container is a sunlit location. Aerate the water lightly. Scuds can survive winters outside in most of North America, but reproduce best at 20-30°C (68-86°F).
    2) Add a starter culture of Gammarus; a few dozen will be enough.
    3) Scuds feed on rotting leaves and microorganisms take grow on any surface. Provide adequate surface area to increase the population size by placing rolled up plastic screening in the culture container. The author uses plastic coated water cooling pads.
    4) Within four weeks there will be enough scuds to harvest. Harvest by netting them with a fish net or by picking up the plastic screening or cooling pads and shaking over a bucket.
    5) Feed the culture with additional leaves as they are consumed or decompose. Periodic, partial water changes are beneficial.
    6) Cultures are long-lasting and sub-culturing is necessary only when production declines. Nevertheless, it is wise to maintain a replicate culture in case of a disaster

4. buzz4520

buzz4520 Well-Known Member

i may be mistaken, but i think there is a shrimp farm of some sort around
    Ft. Collins, Co that may be able to help on this subject. when i lived in Denver here some years back, some friends/coworkers use to go their and get shrimp for bait. i can't remember for the live of me what the name is.