1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Seachem Flourish Excel

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by Anthony, Jun 9, 2008.

1. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

I've been using this product for about 3 months now. I have noticed a growth spurt in the plants since using this product. Before using this I didn't add anything to my water to help with plant growth. I think the key to this product is consistency, you have to remember to add it to the tank every day.
    FlourishExcel_250mL.jpg

2. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I use it every other day. I've also noticed a definate growth spurt to the plants since using it. (You can actually see the difference in my plants under the photo/video section).

3. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I must warn though that I've come to find several plants extremely sensitive to it (they'll turn to mush).

The major one I recall is Vals!
    And I've also read Anacharis are also susceptible to this when using this product.

4. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Right on Dawn. Kills vals deader than a doornail but I've read they do grow back and are then not bothered by the Excel. Shrimp also do not fair well to the overdosing of Excel.

5. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I haven't had the issue with the shrimp (cherrys, whiskers), but I couldn't see the vals ever coming back from complete mush?!? Lol!

6. BobV

BobV Member

I agree, Excel kills vals. Other than that , it's great as long as one does not overdose. I once overdosed a tank with yellow labs and cyno afra cobue, and some anubias in it....the next day, it wiped out half my cobue colony. No big deal as I had quite a big colony, but one must be careful with Exce.

7. jmart.cooper

jmart.cooper New Member

I have heard that it is bad for shrimp also. I guess it contains a lot of copper which is bad for inverts. I have used it in my little planted tank, but it nothing fancy and I dont know enough about planted tanks to know if it helps drastically.

8. Anthony

Anthony Thread Starter Active Member

I don't think Excel contains any copper.

9. Stellaluna

Stellaluna New Member

It has a chemical similar to formaldehyde. I am quite certain I wiped out my boesemani rainbows with it.

It is most excellent at controlling algae as well, but, as above, you have to be careful with it.

10. MOD_Dawn

MOD_Dawn Active Member

I use this faithfully in my planted tank and I have cherry shrimp, whisker shrimp and a bamboo/wood shrimp..I have not experienced any issues with this product and shrimp ;)

11. Trilbytropicals

Trilbytropicals New Member

Every fish tank is different. I've got a 210 gallon at the shop that is PACKED with val. nana (and other hidden plants :rolleyes: )

awww.trilbytropicals.com_210gallonplanted5.jpg

awww.trilbytropicals.com_210gallon_planted.jpg
    and I dose with excel, tank also has shrimp (Bamboo and Indian White Banded)

Yes it has been thinned out recently. I'll have to get some fresh pics

12. genettico

genettico New Member

great looking tank. Excel is a great product if used correctly. It creates havoc when overused.

13. Trilbytropicals

Thanks, the 1st pic was the tank just a few weeks after it was set up, the second pic is of the same tank a few months after being setup, the flash from the camera made that pic look dark I guess.
    Too much excel can be fatal from what I hear. (thankfully I haven't experienced that)

14. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Excel usually melts vals but it doesn't look as though it has affected yours at all.

15. Trilbytropicals

I've got a 76 gallon oceanic half circle at home that's set up with the same val (and crypts) too, they grow like crazy there as well ,I use sera florena and seachem excel in it, although it could be just melting the other types of vallisneria and not the australian nana variety?

16. HBIC

HBIC Need help??? That's what we're here for :)

Could be I know it will melt my spiral vals in a heart beat.