1. Welcome to Aquarium Space! We are a friendly online community for aquarium owners all over the world who love their tanks including their fish, reefs, corals, invertebrates and their aquatic livestock. If you haven't joined yet, we invite you to register and join our community!

Setting up a brackish tank

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fish Forum' started by Anonymous, Dec 30, 2008.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

Well I looked all over the forum and couldn't find any answers. I have 2 green spotted puffers that i've had for about a month. They are in a 40g breeder tank. They get along great(so far)! Now it's time to start converting the tank to brackish. I have the salt and a hydrometer. Do I do a 50% water change and add the salt to the water before I put it back in the tank? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

2. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Please take it slow with the change! Quick changes in salinity will kill fish faster then being in the wrong salinity to begin with!

Slowly acclimate the fish to the ultimate salinity by adding only enough salt to SLOWLY adjust salinity/gravity each day.

When I moved from fish-only to coral, I had to go from my original 1.019SG (intentionally hyposalinic to slow down a parasite I once had to deal with) to 1.024SG (natural seawater is normally between 1.023 and 1.027, depending on where it's measured). I shifted by 0.001 a day which I've been told is the maximum you can adjust salinity without throwing some of the fish into osmotic shock.

3. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Also, slowly directly add the salt. I would recommend gently/slowly pour the amount of salt at the intake of your filter (for your size tank i would try 1/4cup daily of salt OR LESS, measure each time you add to see how much your salinity shifts)

And regarding hydrometers, make sure you use a pencil/butter knife to knock tiny bubbles off of the sides of the gauge because they will "float" it higher, giving you a false reading.

As an aside-We've owned instant ocean & red sea hydrometers. Both red sea hydrometers returned the exact same result, which was wrong. the instant ocean (with much care to remove all bubbles from swingarm/gauge) returned identical results as our calibrated refractometer (which i bought out of frustration from our hydrometers giving different results)

4. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

You're suggesting adding salt directly to the tank ?

In saltwater, that's a no no. You always dissolve the salt into freshwater first.

5. lostanime

lostanime New Member

i would consider it much safer to slowly add small amounts of salt directly to tank to slowly adjust salinity, as opposed to mixing salt+freshwater and abruptly change salinity by doing a water change with it.

i completely agree and your absolutely right for a water change on a pre-existing saltwater tank (that your not adjusting salinity) though... should never add substantial amounts of freshwater, and then saltwater directly to a tank to do a water change since that would cause a sudden salinity drop (and for that matter all chemical drop), and then further stress the fish by a sudden hike afterwards.

whatever the method, slow change is the key. sudden changes in and of themselves are more harmful then chemistry being incorrect (quick temperature changes, salinity changes, ph changes, etc will all do much more damage then slowly adjusting until it gets to ideal)

6. Anonymous

Anonymous Thread Starter Guest

Top Poster Of Month

i started yesterday and did the water change thing. i changed about 20% but added 3 cups of salt to the freshwater and slowly poured it into the tank. Well Edgar and Earl weren't to happy with that. they puffed up pretty big! today i added a 1/4 cup directly to the tank by just pouring a little in at a time and they seemed ok. oh by the way have a 125G on the way! cant wait! got it, the hood/lights and stand for $200. Good price?

7. LemonDiscus

LemonDiscus Active Member

I would say so! :D

8. Anthony

Anthony Active Member

Slowly adjusting the salinity can be done by mixing a cup of salt/water and adding it to the tank. Adding salt directly to a tank will not dissolve immediately and will not give you an accurate reading on how slowly you're adjusting the salinity.

9. lostanime

lostanime New Member

Very true on inaccurate reading within an hour of adding (hense adding 1/4 cup or less)... but mixing in advance and slowly adding cup of saltwater at time would definitely work too (although the salt's dissolved, it would still be wise to slowly add and not trust readings for an hour or two so the added water mixes)

and adding 3 cups before adding to tank?!?!! WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA yeah I bet they did huff!!! whew glad to hear they're still around :)